Skip to main content

(Michigan) Does collecting disability benefits relieve obligation to pay felony amount of past due child support?

Cadillac, MI |
Attorney answers 3


You should consult an attorney. Child support is not relieved because a person goes on disability. Felony child support is serious and I suggest finding an attorney before you are arrested.

***Answering legal questions is a complex matter and cannot be done without further research. My answer here is based solely on the information given in the question and should be taken as informational only. This is not legal advice. My answer here does not indicate that I represent you now, or that I will represent you at a later time. I take clients on a case-by-case basis, and only after initial consultations. ***



Thank you Melissa, can owed child support be taken out of SSI benefits?


Collecting disability does not absolve you of an obligation to pay child support. If you are facing felony charges for failure to pay child support, I suggest you contact an attorney right away.

No- attorney-client relationship: The Kulas Law Office maintains that this response is exclusively for informational purposes. It is not legal or other professional advice and does not necessarily represent the opinion of The Kulas Law Office or its clients. Viewing this site, using information from it, or communicating with The Kulas Law Office through this site by Internet email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Kulas Law Office. Nonreliance: Online readers should not act or decline to act, based on content from this answer, without first consulting an attorney or other appropriate professional. Because the law changes constantly, this website’s content may not indicate the current state of the law. Nothing on this site predicts or guarantees future results. The Kulas Law Office is not liable for the use or interpretation of information contained on this site, and expressly disclaim all liability for any actions you take or do not take, based on this site’s content.


If you began receiving SSI ( not SSD?) benefits after the payment amount for the past due support was determined, you should consult an experienced family law attorney about the possibility of getting the payment, not the amount owed, lowered. You cannot expect to have this obligation written off. You should also speak with the attorney about the possibility of requesting a reduction of the amount owed.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.