Skip to main content

“How do I obtain Family Guardianship for my 58 year old brother who is certified bi-polar and is wasting away to nothingness?

San Antonio, TX |

He lives in San Antonio while I live in Plano; he mismanages his finances, overlooks his medication and is homeless. Although he is a beneficiary of SSID, he is out of money within 10 days each month. He is also diabetic and recently ended up in the hospital BAMC because of lack of food and water, he fainted while walking and fell off a bridge to rocky ground. While in the hospital he was in ICU for 5 days with tubes attached to his chest keeping him alive. My fear is he may not survive this year because of innumerable times he has been released from the psychiatric hospitals that he ends up in because he becomes temporarily stabilized only to repeat the cycle over and over again. My contact information is: [redacted] Please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should contact a local lawyer that handles guardianship who can assess the specifics facts and then inform you of the process and procedure to follow if she is going to take on the case. If money is a problem such that you can't afford a lawyer there should be some help through legal aid. Otherwise, use the avvo lawyer search to start pulling names of some lawyers and set up an initial consultation with them. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.


Remove this post so that your contact information is removed. This is a Probate question. You would go to Probate court and get a Guardianship. Hire a Probate Lawyer.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant County, Texas practice area. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas.


As mentioned, it's not too difficult to get a guardian of the person assigned by the Probate Court. You'll have to figure out where your brother will live and who that guardian will be. You might try calling Rio Grande Legal Aid or St. Mary's University Center for Legal and Social Justice. I don't think it's likely that you'll get appointed guardian if you are in Plano and he is in San Antonio.


Hire a San Antonio probate lawyer to help you.

You might consider moving your brother closer to you.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.