Skip to main content

"Contempt of Court" ??

Las Vegas, NV |

I received a letter from out of state telling me I had to send back my financial information, bank account number, what property I own. They called it a Financial Discloser Statement. This is a court order in regards to a credit card which already has a judgement against me. If I do not reply I could be held in contempt. Is this true? Are state laws in regards to credit card debt from one state enforceable in another?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sounds like a phishing scam. Be careful. Call the clerk of the court that was supposed to have issued the order to see if there really is an order that has been issued by that court. If it is a real order, then contact an attorney in the state that issued the order to see what can be done. It is possible that a valid credit card judgment in one state could be enforced in another state. The procedure varies by state. If necessary, consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your state, which can also handle the out of state collection action, and stop an out of state court proceeding against you as well.


See the two answers to your prior identical question.

I am an attorney, just not your attorney (yet). Any answers here are to be deemed informational unless and until you retain me as your attorney for actual legal services and legal advice. I offer free in-person consultations so feel free to contact me offline by email or phone. If you like my answer, please hit the thumbs up button.


There are too many unknowns to offer any constructive advice except that you should have the letter reviewed by a consumer rights attorney. I suggest that you look for one at

Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship. Please contact 770 427 5600 or 404 373 1970, if you wish to discuss your situation further. Skaar & Feagle, LLP accepts select consumer rights cases. These cases include, but are not limited to, cases of abusive and unlawful collection activity, debt defense, credit reporting of false or obsolete (old) information, high interest lenders (title pawns, payday loans), debt management plans, and fraud or unfair practices in the sale and financing of automobiles.