Powered by Avvo.com

Do courts and PO check AA slips?: Hello! I was wondering if anyone has ever seen the courts or PO's checking AA slips? Like calling the AA meetings, Or is it illegal to do that?

Asked about 2 years ago in DUI & DWI

Michelle’s answer: When the court has jurisdiction and you are on probation y our probation officer can follow up on your conditions however they see fit to make sure you are in compliance. I have experienced certain probation departments doing this where a defendant has a history of non-compliance while others likely will not check. I have never seen a probation officer as upset about a violation of conditions on a DUI as I did when confronted with falsified AA slips.

Answered about 2 years ago.

Can prosecution request to modify sentence from a release date to lifelong probation with one month left on sentence?: original sentence was 125 months suspended 6 months served for total of 131 months. As of this month 138 months have been served. DOC scheduled release date is August 10th, 2014. But now they are requesting to modify the sentence to lifelong probation, is this even legal? They are claiming to have sentenced under the wrong guidelines. There was one violation for marijuanna in 2007, but that was the only violation over the duration of the sentence.

Asked almost 3 years ago in Criminal Defense

Michelle’s answer: More information is needed with respect to the original senence to answer your question with any degree of certainty. I agree with Mr. Steele that it is likely they can if the underlying sentence was not legal. Typically sentences cannot be modified "just beause," but there can be a variety of factors that can give a basis for modification of probation, etc. To get the best guidance in this situation I recommend you either contact the attorney who represented you at sentencing and in your case, or consult with a new attorney bringing all of the relevant information and documentation on your case.

Answered almost 3 years ago.

I need a lawyer in King County; preferably Bellevue area; to represent myself with the relocation of my child.: My son's father has domestic violence issues and has not followed through on court ordered classes. I have had to move due to my father being sick and mother having to sale condo i rented at a low price. My son is 5 years old and i need to sign him up for school ASAP. He went to private school for preschool in Renton last year that i could barely afford; i cannot afford to do it again... we have moved to Monroe and the public schools here are much better. I need an affordable lawyer to help me ensure the right thing happens for my child. I have some money to spend.. not ALOT but hopefully enough.

Asked almost 3 years ago in Family

Michelle’s answer: It sounds like you have already relocated with the child rather than following the statutorily required procedure for giving proper notice for relocation with a child and the associated process. I understand that it sounds like your situation has been difficult. I recommend you search for attorneys on avvo who practice family law in your area and meet with one or more people to make a decision about what attorney you feel comfortable with and can afford. You should get representation to resolve or attempt to cure any issues with your relocation and potentially address a modification of your parenting plan if needed. Best of luck to you.

Answered almost 3 years ago.