Powered by Avvo.com

Recalculating child support: My stepdaughters turn 18; we are modifying child support for my stepson. Husband does not work but we file jointly and I pay the CS. Can ex-wife use my income in the modifications?

Asked about 2 years ago in Child Support

Kimberly’s answer: In Arizona, a stepparent's income is not used in child support calculations.

Answered about 2 years ago.

If my prior divorce was never finalized is my current marriage legal?: I'm in a 17 year marriage that has come to an end, and my current husband just informed me that my prior divorce was never finalized, he filed for a copy of the paperwork. He says we don't need to get divorced as our marriage is neither valid or legal. Is this correct. We do not have any children together.

Asked over 2 years ago in Divorce

Kimberly’s answer: You will need to verify whether your prior divorce was finalized. If it was not finalized, then your current marriage is not valid, but you will still need to get it annulled as you will still most likely have all of the same property rights that you would have in a valid marriage. In addition, as the county in which you were married this time presumably has a record of the marriage, it is important to have the marriage (whether valid or not) legally terminated.

Answered over 2 years ago.

Is it legal for a lawyer who prepares a couples wills and trust to represent one of the parties in a divorce?: Nothing to add, except my wife's attorney prepared our wills and trust.

Asked over 4 years ago in Divorce

Kimberly’s answer: In some limited circumstances this would be fine, but generally speaking it would be a conflict of interest for the attorney. If you have an attorney representing you, discuss your concerns with your attorney. If you are representing yourself, discuss your concerns with your wife's attorney. You can also discuss your concerns with the state bar.

Answered over 4 years ago.