Powered by Avvo.com

Need to know when to request a jury trial in a eviction case : I need to know when should I request a jury trail in my eviction case I have court on 10/13/2016 it my first court date. I moved in my apartment on 08/01/2016 and I found out that my Landlord filed a eviction case against me on 08/30/2016. MY RENT WASNT EVEN DUE YET. she says it's because I violated my lease
I want this case to go in front of a jury because i didn't not violate my lease agreement I need to know when I go into court to request time to consult a lawyer DO I AT THE SAME TIME INFORM THE COURT I WANT A JURY TRAIL or do I wait until I consult the lawyer and when I go back to court then request a jury trial

Asked 9 months ago in Landlord & Tenant

Vlad’s answer: A jury demand is typically filed at the time you file your appearance. If your first court date is 10-13-16, your best bet is to ask the Court for a one week extension to get an attorney. Your attorney in turn can file their appearance on your behalf along with a demand for a jury trial.

Answered 9 months ago.

What does it mean when you see a deed for a home say, "this property is not a homestead property?": Does that mean that it was not the seller's primary residence? Or does it mean something else?

Asked about 1 year ago in Real Estate

Vlad’s answer: Under Illinois law, spouses may have certain rights in real estate known as homestead rights, that need to be released for the grantor to be able to transfer the property to the grantee. If the deed says the property is not a homestead property, the grantor is asserting that transfer of the property in question does not require a release of homestead rights under the law.

Answered about 1 year ago.

Would my settled child support have to increase after I change jobs and get higher compensation? : I have 2 separate child support payments, 1 for 28% and the other is for 20%. I have been in the same place of employment since my first child support settlement and now I'm thinking of changing jobs and, hopefully, get higher compensation. In an event that I do change my job and do get a higher compensation, would my child support payments be adjusted to a new income automatically or it has to go through the system again to have them readjusted? And if there won't be any new court decisions based on my new salary, would that mean that later on, after a few years, I can be taken through the system again for owing back child support?

Asked over 1 year ago in Child Support

Vlad’s answer: You should call a family law attorney to review your orders and go over the calculations. Most support orders entered are for a specific dollar amount per pay period. Those orders remain in effect until someone files a motion to modify them based on a change in circumstances. In that situation, your obligation would not automatically increase because you switched jobs and started making more money. Under some circumstances however,, courts will enter orders with a specific dollar amount and a "true up" provision, whereby you would be automatically responsible at the end of the year for the statutory percentage of your net income, minus what you actually paid out throughout the year. Additionally, some orders may require you to advise the other side of a change in employment, or to provide income documents at the end of the year. You should definitely consult with an experienced family law attorney to give you concrete advice after reviewing your orders and income docs.

Answered over 1 year ago.