Powered by Avvo.com

9 year old daughter wants to come home from a 5 week visitation with father early: My 9 year old cries on the phone everyday to me about wanting to come home. Her father lives in a different state and she is required to stay for 5 weeks but she wants to come home early. I told her to discuss this with her father and that I think she needs to stay as she will get more comfortable as time goes on, but she says she is scared. Is there anything I can do?

Asked about 7 years ago in Child Custody

Kari’s answer: You should talk to her father immediately. He may not know that your child is feeling this way. She may be afraid to tell him because she does not want him to be upset with her. I would have her try it out for a little bit more time to see if she can adjust to the situation. If she is not adapting and is crying everyday thereafter, then I would talk to the father and see if he is in agreement with allowing the child to come home and offer him some additional visitation to make up for the ended trip perhaps over a holiday weekend or during winter school vacation.

Answered about 7 years ago.

My ex is asking me to help her with private high school.: my daughter just graduated from elementary school and her mother already signed her up in private school. the tuition is about $1000 a month. i cannot help pay for that,child support, and support my current family on an unemployment check. am i forced to help pay for this ? what can i do?

Asked about 7 years ago in Child Support

Kari’s answer: If you and you ex-wife have joint custody, you should have a part in the decision making as to where your child will attend high school. You must read your Judgment to determine if you have already agreed to pay for private school expenses or agreed for the child to attend such schooling. If you have not, a court will look at your and your ex-wife's current financial situations and determine if it is in the best interests of your child to attend such school and whether or not you will be required to contribute to the expenses.

Answered about 7 years ago.