Powered by Avvo.com

How to locate and receive a trust established for me??: My great grandmother in California set up a trust fund for me and I am to receive it when I turn 25, which I have. She set up my grandfather as the overseer of the trust. I am estranged from my grandfather and his son who is my father. How do I go about getting my trust fund?

Asked 3 days ago in Trusts

CL’s answer: Depending on the level of "estrangement" you may wish to have an attorney contact your grandfather rather than you doing so directly. I'm sure California law has some provisions governing the duty of a trustee to provide a copy of the document and an accounting of trust assets to you as beneficiary, so you may want to engage a California trust attorney to do this for you.

Answered 2 days ago.

I need to hire a probate lawyer. But I do not know in which state I shall do so due to the unique situation described below.: My EX-husband and I have 2 sons with our marriage, one is an adult now and the other is still a minor. We divorced 6 years ago in 2011 in Florida. After divorce, he moved to New York, NY himself for a new employment and my sons and I moved to Ohio. In early 2014, he was laid off by his NY employer and moved to Indiana to live with his sister. He deceased in July 2014 without leaving any will. He remained single till his death. He and I mutually own a real estate property (50/50 per the divorce decree) in Florida. He has savings in bank accounts and also retirement accounts from his previous employers. In order for my sons to settle all of the final affairs of their deceased father who died 3 years ago, in which of the following states shall I hire a probate lawyer for them: Florida where the real estate is located; Ohio where my sons are living; or Indiana where my sons' father deceased? Thanks.

Asked 5 days ago in Probate

CL’s answer: If he died in Indiana after moving and becoming a resident there, Indiana is the proper State of Administration. His sister would seem to be the most probably Administrator of an intestate (without a will) estate. The laws of Indiana will govern intestate succession, i.e. where his remaining assets go in the absence of a Will. The Administrator will need a Florida lawyer to open an ancillary estate in Florida to deal with the real property.

Answered 5 days ago.

Necklace I purchased for deaceased. : Everything has been dispersed except for deceased jewelry. Executor (my aunt), said I was getting the pearl ring (I have always known that). I told her that I also get the 14 k necklace that I bought for my grandmother. My aunt is very resistant to me taking that necklace. My grandmother was always saying who ever bought her things gets it back if something happened to her. I have the receipt showing I purchased this. What are my options.

Asked 11 days ago in Probate

CL’s answer: It's s often the case that an Executor will return gifts to the giver, but that is not the law, so unless the Willl says something specific about that, it is entirely up to your Aunt. Things said by your grandmother, or even a slip of paper that says "give this to so-and-so" are not legally binding. Hopefully, your aunt will, as a matter of good faith, honor your grandmother's verbally stated wishes, but as a matter of law, if other beneficiaries would object, she needs to act under the law, not under emotion.

Answered 9 days ago.