Powered by Avvo.com

Friend was tricked by girl...she got pregnant with twins. Had Commitment Ceremony. Can he divorce her? Does he pay alimony?: My friend dated a girl and got engaged out of pressure from her family. She felt he was going to call things off so she stopped taking her birth control and got pregnant with twins. He knew he was tricked so decided to have a Commitment Ceremony where she legally changed her last name to his. He is a wealthy person and was legally married in the past with 2 children who are teenagers now but divorced after 10 years.

They live in Tampa Florida. He thinks she may have taken fertility drugs to highten her chances in having a multiple birth as she knows he's a good person and would want to do the "right" thing. Hence she had twins so they agreed to the commitment ceremony. The boys are 4 years old now.
What does she have legal rights to if he dissolves the relationship?

Asked 18 days ago in Divorce

Jeffrey’s answer: I agree with Atty Bernstein in that if the supposed gold digger is left behind by the man wanting to do the right thing (of which leaving her behind would not be doing the right thing) than he should file a Petition to Establish Paternity if he wants to establish a court order that safeguards his ability to enjoy time sharing of the twins. Otherwise, because they have essentially shacked up without the benefit of a legal marriage, she could move anywhere and keep the kids from him. However, with all his dough, you can bet she would procure a child support order. If your friend does indeed end the relationship with the mother of his sons, my recommendation is to file a Petition to Establish Paternity, for if he does not, she surely would, and she will receive child support payments for the well-being of the minor children.

Answered 18 days ago.

Pro Bono?: I have been involved in an unexampled divorce and post divorce case, where the initial judge had two sets of rules, and continually sided with my wealthy now ex wife, and her high powered attorney at the North County Courthouse in PGA; speculation that the initial divorce neared $800,000.00. The judge in question wrote an extremely contradictive dissolution of marriage in June of 2015, my then lawyer from September 2013 to June 2015 informed me indirectly in July of 2015 that he had dropped me in June 2015, and proceeded indirectly to make me aware of a series of motions that were filed and hearing held for these motions to amend the dissolution of marriage; that same day in July of 2015 I was indirectly informed ( emails from my attorney to my girlfriend), of the judges amended dissolution of marriage, that orderers my primary residence be sold with a deduction of 10% each month that it doesn't sell with a timeframe in which I must vacate the home if not sold in 9 months. Now, this is an 11 year old home in a gated intracoastal community valued at $600,000.00 with no mortgage. I then began to represent myself pro se in relentless filings. To date there are 582 filings. Need help.

Asked 20 days ago in Divorce

Jeffrey’s answer: I agree with Atty Bernstein in that your ordeal is relatively complicated. Further, there is a relatively high amount of money involved, so my recommendation is for you to contact family law lawyers in your area for consultations and sit down with at least two of them (the proverbial second opinion). Due to the nature of your circumstances, expect to pay for the consultations. The relatively small investment for the time and knowledge of the attorneys is worth it. If you will not have to pay, chalk it up to good fortune.

Answered 18 days ago.

Me and my wife are getting a divorce. I'm putting my belonging in storage she said everything I have in storage is hers.: Me and my wife are getting a divorce and I put my belongings in storage she says it belongs to hèr is this true?

Asked 19 days ago in Divorce

Jeffrey’s answer: Atty Jacobs is spot on and Atty Woodward makes a good point, which leads to my contribution that whatever is in storage you must like, for you removed it from the home the two of you shared. If the two of you still share the same home, I suggest that you move because the odds of the relationship getting better is next to nil if you removed tangible items. The longer you remain, the greater the odds that there will be a domestic violence charge against one or both of you, so don't let it be you. With your removing items that you want, make an itemized list and give it to your soon-to-be former wife and ask her to check the items that she truly desires, of which the odds of her actually wanting all of it should lessen in time (and like Atty Jacobs has mentioned, she would not be able to have awarded to her at trial if you owned it prior to the marriage).

Answered 18 days ago.