Powered by Avvo.com

Does this sound like a violation of the Fair Housing Act?: I recently purchased a home with a basement apartment so that my disabled mother in law and father in law could move into our home. Because of their disabilities, we will need to install a second driveway leading to the basement door so that they may easily and safely access their living space. There are 7-8 homes in the neighborhood with two driveways and we have already been approved by the DOT and the County to install the second driveway. We submitted a request to the neighborhood HOA (including in that request that it was to accommodate our disabled parents) and our request was denied. We have been told by the President of the HOA, who also happens to have two driveways, that our request was denied because it would not be aesthetically pleasing and that the other homes that have a second driveway leading to a garage door and we only have french doors leading into our basement. However, I know of at least one other home in the neighborhood that has a second driveway leading to doors rather than a garage door. I have done extensive research and believe that their denial may be in violation of the Fair Housing Act.

Asked over 1 year ago in Real Estate

Chaunda’s answer: Fair Housing laws are civil rights laws that apply to all “housing providers”, including the
boards of Homeowner Associations. It is possible that your HOA could be in violation of the Fair Housing Act if they have denied your family a reasonable accommodation however, a violation of the FHA is not always simple. It is very fact specific. I would highly recommend a consultation with an attorney to review the facts of your case.

Answered over 1 year ago.

Is there a way for myself ( the defendant) to set a date for a final hearing. : Child custody case where only temporary orders are in place. These orders have been drawn out for over a year with us finally going to mediation two weeks ago. Since mediation the opposing lawyer did not provide updated financial affidavit and will not respond to emails.

Asked over 1 year ago in Child Custody

Chaunda’s answer: A request for a court date in Georgia is called a rule nisi. You may be able to get a blank rule nisi "form" from the Court clerk to fill in. Generally, only the case information is filled and the date to be set for Court is filled in by the calendar clerk. In some jurisdictions you send the form to the Judge's office (though you must send a copy to opposing counsel) or you can take it to the clerk that handles court scheduling. A simple call to the clerk of court will tell you who handles requests for court dates in the County office where your case is being handled.

Answered over 1 year ago.

What can I do to get some type of relief?: I'm a NCP of a child. I pay child support . I went to jail for 21 months got behide on my payments now that I'm out I'm finding in hard to find work due to my background and thus a revolving door lack of work can't make child support payments on time license suspended etc? I have no income but still I'm ordered pay if I had a minimum wage job working 40 hours a week.

Asked over 1 year ago in Child Support

Chaunda’s answer: If you have not already done so you may want to inform child support enforcement that you were in jail for 21 months. That will not make the arrears go away but they may be willing to enter into a payment plan for the arrears and reinstate your license. They are more likely to work with you if you were making regular payments before your jail term. I have seen them agree to payment plans as low as $25 or $50 per month in some situations. Having your license reinstated may give you a better chance at finding work and being able to make your payments. Even if you don't have all of your payment, pay whatever you have so that they can see that you are trying and work as hard and fast as possible to get back on track.

Answered over 1 year ago.