Powered by Avvo.com

I got a DWI in NC 30 years ago and never went to Court. If I get a lawyer will I be able to get this settled pretty easy. L: I never went to court because I had very rich man's wife coming by my Condo and he found and wanted me killed so I totally disappeared for 30 years but I did create a Million dollar Corporation since. The man has passed away now so I want to get my Drivers Licenses back, can this be done with a good lawyer pretty easy, Money is not a problem, please advise

Asked about 20 hours ago in DUI & DWI

Christopher’s answer: The ease of handling this will probably depend on the county where the case took place. It is probably going to be hard to convict you after 30 years, but they may not be willing to simply dismiss the case. More likely they are going to try to prosecute you for some other offense such as Failure to Appear for an Implied Consent Offense; a conviction of that would prevent you from getting your license back for at least another year (though that is probably still better than never getting it back).

As you say, the first step is to retain a lawyer in the county where you were charged, and they can give you more specific advice as to how best to handle the situation and what your options might be. At the end of the day I think this will not be quite as easy as you imply, but also not an impossible problem to solve. Good luck!

Answered about 19 hours ago.

I ignored loss prevention and drove away: As I exited a Wal-Mart a man identified himself as loss prevention and told me to go back into the store. I had not taken anything and was in no mood for this so I told him " I'm not going anywhere with you" and kept walking and drove away thinking no big deal since I didn't take anything. I was left a voicemail today by a police officer. I have not returned the call yet, advice?

Asked 1 day ago in Criminal Defense

Christopher’s answer: They are calling you for one of two reasons: either they have taken out charges against you and are giving you the opportunity to turn yourself in, or they are investigating the matter and want to talk to you about what happened. Either way, you need to talk to a lawyer before doing anything else, and you absolutely do not want to make any sort of statement to law enforcement prior to that consultation.

Answered about 19 hours ago.

Is a polygraph examiner considered a expert witness in North Carolina?: Hello, I am hearing back and forth debates on how to get a polygraph admitted in court. Some are saying no you are not allowed. Others are saying yes, and its up to the judge. I've read reviews where people have taken polygrapgh test and the state decided not to press any further charges against the person? I reside in North Carolina....

1. Can the polygraph examiner who administered the test be considered a expert witness?
2. Is the polygraph itself admissible?
3. Any other way or valuable arguments to get a polygraph admissible in court?

Thanks again everyone, any help is appreciated.

Asked 1 day ago in DUI & DWI

Christopher’s answer: The North Carolina Supreme Court ruled that polygraph examination results are not admissible in court back in the 1980s, and that decision has been re-affirmed several times since then. As such, there is no way that I know of to get a polygraph result admitted as substantive evidence in court. A polygraph examiner could theoretically be tendered as an expert witness on polygraph examinations, but they would still be precluded from testifying about any actual examination they conducted so I don't see the point.

This does not mean that polygraphs are not used by law enforcement agencies as part of their investigatory practices. Some still use them to try to screen out false accusations or, more commonly I suspect, to induce suspects to confess or make incriminating statements. As such, it is entirely possible that people have agreed to take a polygraph test and then had the police decide not to pursue a case when they "passed". That being said, my standard advice to any criminal suspect is to never take a polygraph for the simple reason that they are terribly unreliable, don't really prove or disprove anything, and are more likely to be used by the police to obtain a confession than for any other purpose.

Answered about 21 hours ago.