Powered by Avvo.com

If the photo was meant for "criticism" and in no way infringed upon the copyright holder's income is it considered Fair Use?: My husband has a ministry website with a few different aspects. One aspect of it is examining various religions and comparing their claims to the Bible. This includes faiths that claim to be Christian, such as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. On the page dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses my husband used a photo he found on Google images which displayed pictures of Jehovah's Witnesses' writings (the Watchtower, etc. This link should illustrate it: https://settle.lcs.global/296242367102). The photo has been on there for 3-4 years but he recently was contacted by a U.K. Based company called Alamy stating he'd infringed their client's copyright. There was no indication that the photo was copyrighted (though I know that doesn't really matter) but my understanding is that because of the intent of the use of the photo, it would fall under Fair Use.

Asked about 1 year ago in Copyright

Ronald’s answer: Don't spend money on an attorney. Just take the image down and advise the U.K. company that you have done so. If they try to pursue the matter, THEN you will want to hire an attorney. In the future, don't use pictures off the internet without permission.

Answered about 1 year ago.

Can a basement tenant get me into trouble?: My downstairs tenant was a major pain in all respects, so we told him to leave at the end of the month, which he agreed to. He was only there for 1 month. There was no lease and he paid in cash. He just called me saying he wants half of the rent he paid back while he was living in the basement because it "wasn't livable" (which is untrue). I'm worried he may contact someone saying we are illegally renting (I own the house) or mention something about work being done without a permit, etc. Should I just give him his money back or is this a non-issue?

Asked about 1 year ago in Landlord & Tenant

Ronald’s answer: If the tenant won't leave on his own, you will have to evict him. That will cost you some money assuming you need to hire an attorney. Unless you really understand what you're doing, you will need an attorney. Evictions are very tricky. Secondly, the tenant certainly can report you to your city or town if he sees that you are doing something illegal. He won't care because he's moving anyway. But this absolutely could cause you a big headache. You may be forced to correct the situation and pay fines or penalties for doing some illegal thing. Lesson learned. Don't try to rent out an illegal apartment. I think you might be well advised to work this out privately with the tenant.

Answered about 1 year ago.

Is there any defense for me?: i got a ticket for being parked in a Temporary Construction Regulation No Standing, i am a stone company and i delivered stuff to this job site,?

Asked about 1 year ago in Speeding Ticket

Ronald’s answer: There is no obvious defense, and certainly no statutory defense. You should, however, go to court to see if you can speak with the issuing officer and strike a bargain. If you tell the officer that you have figured out a different way of doing your deliveries without having to park there, he or she may be willing to offer an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD), with is essentially as good as a dismissal so long as you don't do it again.

Answered about 1 year ago.