Powered by Avvo.com

Can I be docked PTO if I am a salary employee if I leave 2 hours early?: I am a salary employee who worked 45 hours in the work week, I left work early on the last day of the week and my employer deducted 2 hours of my vacation time from my paycheck.

Asked 26 days ago in Employment

Scott’s answer: You can be docked for a partial day absence, if you are paid for the time by using vacation. Once you have exhausted all your vacation time, if you miss a partial day, you cannot be docked. It does not matter that you worked 45 hours that week.

Answered 26 days ago.

Employment law? Lunch periods. : I work a 40 hour work week sometimes more. My office is short handed some days which requires more man power to answer phones and such. On those days sometimes I can't take my full 1/2 hour lunch so I quickly take a 15-20 minute lunch, punch back in and get back to work. I've noticed I've been jipped on my last few checks and it's because someone that's doing payroll is manually going in and adjusting my clock back in time to equal a full half hour. Is that legal can they do that? My HR person told me that We have to take a half hour lunch required by state law and I want to know if that's accurate. I do know they have to offer it but do I have to accept it? Escpecally if I'm busy answering phones or covering the phones and want able to enjoy my half hour lunch?

Asked 4 months ago in Employment

Scott’s answer: Subject to some exceptions, under CT law you must be offered a 1/2 hour meal break if you work at least 7.5 hours in a day. Your employer can force you to take the 1/2 hour off, without pay. However, if you work any part of that 1/2 hour you must be paid for the time worked and they cannot adjust your time card to show you did not work.

Please note that while you are coming back early, it seems you are doing so as a conscientious employee, and not at your employer's direction. While admirable, if your employer orders you to not come back early, you must stop doing so, or you can be disciplined. But, if the employer allows you to do so, or knows you are doing so and doesn't stop you, you must be paid.

Answered 4 months ago.

Can I sue my employer for wage discrimination?: I am a hair stylist and I work on a commission basis and my employer keeps reducing my wages without my signature or my acknowledgement. I have filed a wage dispute with the department of labor which says I may have a case for wage discrimination, any confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Asked 6 months ago in Employment

Scott’s answer: Normally, even as an at will employee an employer must inform you of a reduced rate before you perform the work and not afterwards. Therefore your wage complaint with DOL is the proper venue.

When you use the term wage discrimination, that implies you are being paid less because of some protected category like gender or race. If that's the case you should speak with an employment attorney to determine if you have a claim that can be filed at the CHRO.

Answered 6 months ago.