Powered by Avvo.com

I am looking for family law attorney in Massachussette State: Wife moved back to Taiwan, husband and wife separated since December 15, 2015 and no children, no assets.

Asked 9 months ago in Divorce

Stephen’s answer: You are not clear what you are asking about. If you are looking for a divorce, that is certainly possible. You can resolve all of the property issues as well as the divorce.

Answered 9 months ago.

My wife makes about 2 times as much money as i do. Why do I have to pay child support?: My wife filed a divorce against me. She makes much more money than me. The court ordered me to pay child support for our 2 sons, age 9 and 12. Is this right? Last year she made $110 thousand dollars. She doesn't need my money and I barely get by paying my bills. Is there any way that I can stop paying child support?

Asked 9 months ago in Child Support

Stephen’s answer: Massachusetts has child support Guidelines which incorporate your income and her income to come up with a presumptive amount for child support.

You should speak to a family law lawyer not only to assess your child support problem, but to see if you have a potential claim for alimony under the new alimony statute. This could offset some of your child support obligation by Court order or provide leverage for a child support figure under the Guidelines.

Answered 9 months ago.

Can alimony be stopped by living in someones house ?: my friend wants to move in with me, she was told her ex could stop alimony payments.

Asked 9 months ago in Alimony

Stephen’s answer: Under the new Alimony Reform Law, if you have old school unclassified alimony or general term alimony, cohabitating combined with a change in financial circumstances can result in suspension, reduction or termination of alimony _after_ a Complaint for Modification and a new Court order.

To be cohabitating, you and the friend must share a primary residence together, create a common household, and have an economic marital partnership. The 'common household' will be assessed by the following factors:

"(i) oral or written statements or representations made to third parties regarding the relationship of the persons;
(ii) the economic interdependence of the couple or economic dependence of 1 person on the other;
(iii) the persons engaging in conduct and collaborative roles in furtherance of their life together;
(iv) the benefit in the life of either or both of the persons from their relationship;
(v) the community reputation of the persons as a couple; or
(vi) other relevant and material factors."

So if you two are just friends, and/or operate your finances independently of one another, her ex- could attempt to change alimony but would be likely to fail.

Have your friend talk to a lawyer, who specializes in family law, on a paid consultative basis for strategies to avoid being considered a common household. A couple of hundred dollars of legal advice now could save her thousands in legal fees down the line.

Answered 9 months ago.