Skip to main content
Brad E Smith

Brad Smith’s Answers

2 total

  • How do I go about getting my truck fixed when the driver did a hit and run car accident?

    My truck was rear ended by another truck, however, the driver took off running but left his truck at the scene. the driver who was a male is not on the insurance and has therefore, left me with limited options. My truck is considered totaled becau...

    Brad’s Answer

    Turn this matter over to your own insurance, but they may also refuse to fix the truck if the cost of repair is greater than the truck's value. Also, it sounds like you have the information on the other driver. Make certain you file a police report, which is also going to be required by your own insurer. The fact the other driver was not a named insured does not mean the insurer of the other vehicle will deny coverage so long as he was a permissive driver. Terry Abeyta and Marianno Morales are good attorneys in your area that deal with auto accidents.

    See question 
  • Do we have to sign an access authorization form from our insurance adjuster following a fire. if we don't what happens

    we had a house fire and the insurance company is being very difficult and just sent the form saying we are required to sign it. It is giving them access to all our personal information -most they have as part of the policy and free access to our h...

    Brad’s Answer

    The form title itself if potentially misleading. "Access" more clearly would be associated with physical access to your home -- a reasonable and required response to a house fire. However, the insurer is clearly seeking "access" to your personal information. Before going to an attorney, write to the insurer and ask why they are requesting your "personal information" such as financial records. They may suspect that either the fire was not accidental, or that your personal property inventory is excessive. If they will not tell you why they need personal information, or you are dealing with a SIU insurer representative, then you will probably want to consult with an attorney who practices in insurance law. However, doing nothing will potentially put your coverage at risk for failure to cooperate.

    See question