Skip to main content
Arianna Cozart

Arianna Cozart’s Answers

8 total

  • Am I allowed to collect child support?

    My son came to live with me for two months. During this time I was still paying child support. Am I allowed to have that refunded to me? Am I allowed to ask for child support from her during that time?

    Arianna’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    I have seen the court both grant a credit for child support during a time period a child changed primary residence and deny it. It really depends on the circumstances. Was the two month period part of your parenting plan? If not, I would speak to your caseworker with the Division of Support Enforcement (assuming they are involved). If he is still living with you, I would move for modification of the child support right away. The courts will RARELY modify a child support order retroactively. If the state isn't involved in enforcement I would ask your ex for a three or four month reprieve from paying child support (but get this in writing) on the basis your son lived with you and she did not contribute to his support.

    See question 
  • Today Thursday Jan. 17th, 2013. For the first time, 2 men bounty hunters come into my familys home searching for my ex-boyfiend

    Well I just read that the bounty hunters rights are entering the suspects home. They able to search the home without a warrant. but other familys, friends homes they cannot do so, right! Inless they have proof of seeing the person their looking fo...

    Arianna’s Answer

    Bounty Hunters, a.k.a. Recovery Agents are governed by the following statute in Washington State:

    RCW 18.185.300

    (1) Before a bail bond recovery agent may apprehend a person subject to a bail bond in a planned forced entry, the bail bond recovery agent must:

    (a) Have reasonable cause to believe that the defendant is inside the dwelling, building, or other structure where the planned forced entry is expected to occur; and

    (b) Notify an appropriate law enforcement agency in the local jurisdiction in which the apprehension is expected to occur. Notification must include, at a minimum: The name of the defendant; the address, or the approximate location if the address is undeterminable, of the dwelling, building, or other structure where the planned forced entry is expected to occur; the name of the bail bond recovery agent; the name of the contracting bail bond agent; and the alleged offense or conduct the defendant committed that resulted in the issuance of a bail bond.

    (2) During the actual planned forced entry, a bail bond recovery agent:

    (a) Shall wear a shirt, vest, or other garment with the words “BAIL BOND RECOVERY AGENT,” “BAIL ENFORCEMENT,” or “BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT” displayed in at least two-inch-high reflective print letters across the front and back of the garment and in a contrasting color to that of the garment; and

    (b) May display a badge approved by the department with the words “BAIL BOND RECOVERY AGENT,” “BAIL ENFORCEMENT,” or “BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT” prominently displayed.

    (3) Any law enforcement officer who assists in or is in attendance during a planned forced entry is immune from civil action for damages arising out of actions taken by the bail bond recovery agent or agents conducting the forced entry.

    As you can see, the first section (1) requires the recovery agent to have "reasonable cause". If they did not do any physical damage to your home, your best recourse is to submit a complaint to the Director of the State of Washington Department of Licensing office in charge of Bail Bond Recovery Agent licensing. I've added a link to their website below.

    See question 
  • Do I need an employment lawyer?

    I am about to be fired because my boss does not remember a conversation we had 2 months ago in which I complained a customer sexually harassed me on graveyard shift. He says I am a liar, mentally unstable, and having delusions. He has suspended m...

    Arianna’s Answer

    Yes, you need to get an employment lawyer. I do not have enough facts to tell you what all legal causes of action you may have, but your boss sounds like he has acted inappropriately enough that he may be liable for several issues.

    See question 
  • How to stop a Spouse that wants to move out of state with child

    My spouse and I separated a couple of weeks ago. My spouse wants to move to another state. How can I stop this from happening? Do they have the right to take my child out of state if there is no custody in place or anything?

    Arianna’s Answer

    I suggest you get a temporary parenting plan ordered immediatly and ensure you are legally seperated if you have not already filed for divorce. These are important steps not only to protect your children but also your financial liabilities.

    See question 
  • How can I legally take my children out of Washington State.

    I want to move to be closer to family, I have 2 children with an ex that are 11 and 9 and a 3 year old from my ex husband, they both live in my town, and have done everything to destroy my life. I just want to be able to breathe. I have no family ...

    Arianna’s Answer

    Review your parenting plans and final court orders regarding the custody of your children. Those documents should state what the requirements are for you to move out of state. Most likely, you will need to petition the court to move out of state, which either of your ex-husbands can fight. I would request a consultation with the lawyer that handled either of your dissolutions or if you handled them yourself, call around and see if you can get a free consultation with a family lawyer. Make sure you bring the final parenting plans to any consultation.

    See question 
  • My husband tricked me into filing a joinder releasing everything we have to him and full custody and child support.

    Is there a way to rescend or contest the joinder. He told me he would remove the child support and agree to joint custody if I signed over the house, I agreed and he was to put thsoe changes in the final docs. He did not and now he turning in the ...

    Arianna’s Answer

    I would hire an attorney immediately. If you cannot afford one, contact Volunteer Attorney Services (VAS) to see if you can obtain an appointment with an attorney through them. Their number is in the phone book.

    See question 
  • I am employed by the City of Seattle. I was injured on the job. Employer is modifying dr.'s APF Back pain worsening. Atty?

    Employer has changed doctor's orders and is not providing proper accomodations. Improper and prolonged seating have actually exacerbated back problems which previously had been improving.

    Arianna’s Answer

    Are you part of a union? If so, I would bring this issue to your union immediately. I would absolutely suggest you contact an attorney that specializes in workplace injury or Labor and Industries claims and document everything relating to your situation until you are able to meet with the attorney.

    See question 
  • Do I have need of an employment/labor attorney?

    My boss has told other employees she can make things difficult on me at work and that she can make me want to quit. She started this behavior after I injured my back at work. I never missed any work, all appt. are made on my days off and I've neve...

    Arianna’s Answer

    In Washington State, it may be illegal for your boss to discriminate against you for either a disability (which may be difficult to show since you are still performing the same duties) or for filing a worker's compensation claim. If you have filed a worker's compensation claim, my first suggestion would be to alert the Labor and Industries Department to your situation.

    Discrimination claims require you to show an adverse employment action, thus far your issues with not receiving the requested days off might not qualify as an adverse employment action. It may benefit you to contact your human resources department and alert them to the situation. Regardless, you can always attempt to find an employment attorney that offers a free consultation and they may be able to give you more information and ideas on the best way to manage your current work situation.

    Long answer short, you may not have a case for employment discrimination, yet, but it is important to know your rights and document for your records (and potential litigation in the future) when you think your rights are violated.

    See question