Skip to main content
Kathleen Marliss McCann

Kathleen McCann’s Answers

1 total

  • Contesting an existing petition/petitioning for guardianship myself

    My mother and step dad are petitioning for guardianship over my 35 year old brother. He has cerebral palsy & paranoid schizophrenic effective disorder. My step dad has wanted to get my brother out of his life for more than 10 years. I am afraid...

    Kathleen’s Answer

    you file a response to the petition for guardianship stating why the proposed guardian may or may not be qualified and a counter petition within the response stating who you propose as the guardian. A guardian ad litem has been appointed to investigate. As his sister, the "gal" may interview you. If not your mother and step father as brother's guarrdian, who should be? If your brother has been living with them all along, it could be extremely challenging to contest their petition. Placement decisions are in the province of the guardian.

    See question