Skip to main content
Chad Everett Sleight

Chad Sleight’s Answers

3 total

  • How can I find out if I have a arrest warrant issued in the USA if I am Canadian living in Canada?

    I would like to find out if I would have trouble going into the USA and Also, how does a person find out if they have a arrest warrant in the USA if they are not a resident of the USA.

    Chad’s Answer

    The first thing I would advise is to try and figure out which county you think you might have a warrant out of. I would then recommend using the internet to find the phone number to the courthouse in that county, and calling them to see if you have an active warrant and what the warrant is for. This is not a full-proof plan, but it is a good place to start.

    As for any issues you might run into coming into the U.S., the answer is that it depends on what the warrant is for and if the warrant is out of the state that you trying to enter. For example, if you are entering the State of Idaho from Canada and you have a misdemeanor warrant out of Washington State, then you might be ok. However, if you have a felony warrant, then you might be taken into custody immediately and transported to the County/State that issued the warrant.

    See question 
  • If you shoplift from Walmart in Washington state, what could the fines be? (Underage, first offence).

    17 years old (underage) and this was a first offense... I have never done anything before in my life. My mom came and got me, we didn't sign any papers or anything, and they (undercover shopper people, i believe referred to as "LP"?) told me that...

    Chad’s Answer

    If you get charged in Juvenile Court with a criminal offense, I would advise you to talk to a lawyer right away. It may be possible to explore a Diversion program so that the charge could be dismissed if you comply with certain conditions.

    The letter in the mail that you are describing sounds like a civil matter (meaning not having anything to do with the criminal case). A retail store like Walmart can demand payment of a fine (civil penalty) from people who they allege tried to steal from their stores. I have seen letters asking for $250, all the way up to near $500. If you receive a letter like this in the mail, I would encourage you to meet with an attorney about how to proceed.

    See question 
  • So how much suspicion is required to warrant probable cause to arrest and then apply for a search warrant?

    Is there any line drawn, in a simple driving infraction case ; turned into felony dwi case, where suspicion meets refusal? Are previous convictions considered? Also if at first FST are refused but then reluctantly preformed due to ignorance, like ...

    Chad’s Answer

    A DUI can have many negative impacts on a person's life. The possibility of going to jail, getting your license suspended, being ordered to have an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, paying high-risk insurance for 3 years, and being ordered into alcohol treatment, are all reasons that you need to consult with a DUI attorney immediately. An attorney will go through the police report with you to examine the evidence, look for officer errors, and talk to you about possible defenses to your case.

    See question