Skip to main content
Lisa M Christoffersen

Lisa Christoffersen’s Answers

1 total

  • Can I travel without 1-131, travel document?

    I did not file my 1-131 at the same time as my I-1485 (marriage based). And I just recently filed my I-131... my husband and I need to travel to India for our religious wedding ceremony in mid-jan. I am freaking out, and I need some feedback if so...

    Lisa’s Answer

    If you have valid nonimmigrant status, such as an H-1B or L-1, you may travel on your H or L while your adjustment application is pending (assuming that you have no other immigration issues). If you do not have a dual-intent status, or if your status has lapsed, then it is most likely that you will need your advance parole before leaving the US. You should make an infopass appointment at the local office as soon as possible (see uscis website for details) and request an expedite. The expedite is discretionary and you should bring your I-485, I-765, and I-131 receipt notices, airplane tickets and evidence of the ceremony, to bolster your case.

    See question