Skip to main content
Susan Lee Beecher

Susan Beecher’s Answers

209 total

  • Can I be fired in the state of WA if my employer thinks I make too much money? I worked like a dog to do the work of two people

    New management was brought in and I was fired within 3 weeks. The reason given was that I wasn't meeting expectations. I think they fired me b/c they didn't want to pay me what I was making. Can they do that? The only satisfaction I got was th...

    Susan’s Answer

    This wasn't part of your question, but I will mention it anyway. If you were terminated for being highly paid, or even if you were terminated for "not meeting expectations", you stil should qualify for unemployment. Small compensation, I know, but go ahead and take it.

    Otherwise, I cannot add to what the previous attorney had to say. Unfortunately for your case, she is correct.

    See question 
  • Is it common practice for a tv pilot production company to send an agreement via e-mail and also ask me to pay for half the cost

    I would essentially pay for my flight to New York, pay for half the production cost and I cannot find them listed in the BBB and most all the links are broken on their website. The first contract they sent had date errors and mis-spellings and the...

    Susan’s Answer

    I know nothing about what is common practice for TV production companies, but several factors raise red flags for me. By your post, I'd say they've raised red flags for you, too, or you wouldn't be asking. Sloppy contracts, sloppy websites, "LLC, Inc" (which is legally absurd) and asking you to pay half the production costs are just a few things.

    I have no legal advice for you, but I have some common sense advice. I am confirming what I believe you already know in your gut. Don't write the check and don't waste your time on this one.

    See question 
  • Can a noncustodial parent in Washington state voluntarily terminate remaining rights and responsiblites?

    The father who has supervised visitation of our two boys wants to terminate his remaining rights and responsilbiltes. I am willing to to do this because of the lack of emotional and finacial support that is received from him to help raise our chil...

    Susan’s Answer

    If the father is willing to relinquish his rights, there is a step-parent ready to step in and adopt, and you are also in favor of this change, then you may go forward with this. Based on your post, all the required elements seem to be there.

    See question 
  • I work as a service technician at an hvac company and my dispatcher just married another technician and she gives him more work?

    I have more seniority over him, i have been with the company 10 years and the dispatchers new husband has only been their 5 years. We do the same job description but when times are slow she sends the techs home early and gives the work to her new...

    Susan’s Answer

    Probably not, unfortunately.

    If you have a contract with your employer that gives preference to workers with seniority or that forbids nepotism, whether that contract is an individual agreement or a union contract, you can move to enforce it.

    If your employer has a policy against nepotism, or in favor of giving work to those who have seniority, and the dispatcher is acting contrary to the policy, you should take this up with her supervisor.

    If those who have authority over the dispatcher are aware of what she is doing and are okay with it (anything that creates poor morale is bad for business, but sometimes managers don't "get" this), there is nothing you can do except 1) remind yourself that she's doing it to help him (and herself), not to hurt you, and 2) look around for a more well managed place to work.

    See question 
  • Can my ex-wife send my son out of state by himself without my permission?

    In our parenting plan it states that we are each entitled to 14 days of vacation time with our son outside of the normal residential schedule. The only stipulation is that we must give the other parent 30 days notice and provide all relevant cont...

    Susan’s Answer

    I would not be as quick as the other attorney to dismiss your concern as without recourse. (But reasonable minds can differ.) There is no requirement that the parent be with the child at all times, but the purpose of residential time is to accommodate the right of the child to have a relationship with each parent, and if the child is shipped to relatives for this period, that need is not really being met. I also think that age six is a bit young for a child to travel unaccompanied, even with the airline paying special attention for a fee. Much depends on the maturity of your particular child, and also whether his aunt is a stranger to him.

    To cut a rambling answer short, I cannot say for sure that you can prevent this vacation arrangement, but I would want to see the specific language of the parenting plan and know more about the child's maturity and the specific flight arrangements, before saying that you cannot. I would encourage you to have a family law attorney look at the parenting plan and thoroughly review the facts with you.

    See question 
  • Where on a Dissolution of my marriage should I enter in a request for my husband to pay back taxes removed from my tax refund?

    The IRS removed $4,000 from my 2008 and 2009 tax refunds to pay towards my husbands 2003 back taxes. We married in 2008, therefore the debt was incurred prior to our marriage.

    Susan’s Answer

    Your tax refund for 2008 and 2009 is arguably community property. That doesn't mean you can't ask that this situation be considered in resolving your property and debt issues with your husband in your dissolution. Both community and separate property are before the court to make an equitable distribution.

    To answer your question more directly, make your request in your petition under section 1.8, requesting that your share of the property include an additional $4000 in cash or assets. As stated above, the refund was probably community property, but it never hurts to ask.

    If you are preparing your own dissolution paperwork, you may want to consider having an attorney look it over and give you guidance. This is called "unbundled services". I always encourage people to get representation for a dissolution, but sometimes this is financially just not an option, and unbundled services is the next best thing.

    See question 
  • If the numbers in our lease don't add up. does that mean our lease is invalid?

    929.00 monthly payment x12 month lease doesn't equal:11,210.00.over amount that will be paid at end time of lease. The manager says she doesn't know why.

    Susan’s Answer

    Your question is not completely clear, but it sounds as it you are referring to a lease (for equipment or a car, perhaps?) with a balloon payment at the end. It doesn't render the lease invalid but it does render it ambiguous on this point. Ambiguity is construed against the drafter, which means that if this is not cleared up, the interpretation that works in your favor can be applied. I assume the manager to whom you refer works for the entity leasing to you. Let her know politely that if she doesn't know why this discrepency exists, you would like her to find out. (It could be something as simple as a finance charge mentioned elsewhere in the contract.)

    An attorney may also be able to help you figure out why the discrepancy, but if you can get this cleared up without having to go to that expense, that would be better, of course.

    See question 
  • Am I allowed rights to my car, even though its in my ex's name?

    After being together 3 years my ex and I broke up. During those three year, two of them I lived on the road with him while he worked. He was my soul supporter. It's not that I didn't want to work, but we lived on the road and only spent a little a...

    Susan’s Answer

    Maybe. In Washington, when couples live together in a committed and intimate relationship that resembles marriage, the court looks to community property laws for guidance in dividing the property. Three years is not all that long, but perhaps long enough, for these laws to apply.

    I am assuming the car title is still in his name. If the car title is in your name, then you also have the argument that even if you were not entitled to the car under Washington law, the car is a gift, and he can't take it back now.

    Park the car in a garage with a locking door until you can sort this out, and talk to an attorney. Your case is not a "slam dunk", but I think you have a good argument to retain the car.

    See question 
  • Step-Father inserts himself between Father & Son as he disagrees with parenting approach, anything legally can be done?

    Step-Father escorts Father's son away from Father in public events and when Father comes over to talk to his son Step-Father indicates Father can't talk to him and implies a confrontation will occur. It has not escalated as of yet, but if this co...

    Susan’s Answer

    You write about these events in the third person, but I assume you are the father in this case.

    First, make sure a "public event confrontation" does not occur. This will be harmful for your son to witness. Such a confrontation will also muddy the case, as there is bound to be conflicting testimony as to who said what or, even worse, who threw the first punch.

    You do not say whether your parenting plan clarifies that you may attend your son's athletic events/piano recitals/chess tournaments - whatever the type of occasion is that is at the root of this problem, and whether you have a right to visit with him at these events. If the parenting plan is vague, you may want to move for clarification on that point. Assuming the court finds that you should be able to chat with your son at such events, even though this is outside your residential time, you then have a court order that you can enforce.

    See question 
  • QDRO amended to clarify marriage dates

    I need to have a qualified QDRO amended to clarfiy marriage date and added to the QDRO. My ex is unwilling to have the QDRO amended to clarify the marriage dates because as written she is entitled to recieve the court awarded pension for my entir...

    Susan’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    This is arguably a clerical error, so you may be able to get this fixed on motion under CR 60(a). If not, you will have to move to vacate and enter a new order under 60(b). As you can no doubt prove the date of your marriage and the date you began to accrue your pension, you have a good argument that the outcome is the result of clerical error and does not reflect the original intention of the parties. However, this must be done within one year of the date the court signed the order.

    No one can ever say for sure what the court will say, but I would say you have a reasonable chance of prevailing and considering the amount likely at stake, it is certainly worth trying.

    See question