Skip to main content
Susan Lee Beecher

Susan Beecher’s Answers

209 total

  • I filed for unemploy, and it was determined my case required further investigation. I already answered the prelim. questionnaire

    I just rec'd another questionnaire today, and have only until 1/21/11 to respond. My question is this: should I consult and have an attorney look at this questionnaire BEFORE I submit it? As I understand this document, my answers will be used t...

    Susan’s Answer

    Yikes! I realize your question has been posted for two days, but it only showed up in my in box today. Having an attorney look at the questionnaire might be nice but at this point you are out of time. Just answer the questions truthfully and get it back to them today. (I think they usually have a fax number listed to use. Definitely use that.)

    If you disagree with the decision, contact an attorney at that point. Your next step will be to request a hearing, and that hearing is critical.

    See question 
  • I'm in discussion to license a product from a UK company. Should I have any concerns about contracts I have them sign...

    regarding there enforceability?

    Susan’s Answer

    Whether a contract can be enforced across international boundaries is always a headache. How to handle that is an economic decision. I would recommend that you consult with an attorney, but the most cost effective way might be through use of a standby letter of credit.

    See question 
  • Does your employer have the right not to fire you & keep you as an employee? Even if they never work you.

    I worked 40-70 plus hours a week for 7 years with my employer. With no reason or warning they stopped working me last october. I was never actully fired so i cant collect unemployment. i still have an employee number and lock at my old job. i was ...

    Susan’s Answer

    Yes. If they have stopped assigning hours to you, no matter what they care to call it, you are no longer employed, and you are entitled to unemployment compensation. Go ahead and apply today.

    See question 
  • I worked for a employer that did not pay overtime or prevailing wage for hundred of hours for multiple employees what should ido

    Please advise

    Susan’s Answer

    You can only pursue your remedy for your own losses, not for the multiple other employees. You can either contact the Dept of Labor & Industries, or hire an employment law attorney to assist you. You are entitled to overtime so long as you are not an exempt employee (and an attorney can help you determine whether you are or not) for all hours worked over 40 per week.

    Also, bear in mind, it is not legal for your employer to retaliate against you for pursuing this claim, but in the real world, the employer may do so. This will be another claim for you to pursue, but you might be unemployed meanwhile, so you might want to consider getting another job before you pursue your claim. An employment law attorney can help you consider your options based on the details of your case.

    See question 
  • My co-worker of almost 20 years is son of owner of privately-held comp. where I am employed. Son (30 yo) drinks alcohol on-job.

    All co-workers either smell alcohol or notice behavior. None us in fear and no specific safety issue,but clients come to ofc. and we contract with WA State. Owner his mother; the 2nd person in the company is her girlfriend; have been 'together' f...

    Susan’s Answer

    Does your company's contract with Washington State forbid alcohol in the workplace? If so, you may have some options. Otherwise, the news is not good. If there are no safety issues (son is not driving, operating equipment, caring for children or drilling teeth, for example) and none of you has cause for concern personally (son is not being "inappropriate" while drunk) and the owners have been made aware of his drinking, then there is nothing you can legally do. I know that's disappointing, but it is likely that you will NOT qualify for unemployment if you quit.

    If the company ultimately collapses under the weight of this unproductive worker, you will then qualify for unemployment. Also, if he does something illegal, inform the owners. If they do nothing and the illegal activity continues, you will then probably qualify for unemployment if you quit.

    Otherwise, your best bet is to start looking for another job. The economy is bad, but you are always in a better position to find a job if you already have one.

    See question 
  • What is considered a violation of a hostile work enviornment?


    Susan’s Answer

    A hostile work environment, as a legal term, refers not just to a work environment that is "hostile", but to a work environment that is made uncomfortable for illegal reasons. Some examples might help.

    If your work environment is hostile because you are are the only old person, the only person of color, or the only (insert name of legally protected group), that is a hostile work environment. If you are being bullied because you will not submit to your supervisor's sexual demands, that is a hostile work environment. If you are being picked on because you qualified for L & I disability benefits at some point, and you applied for them even though your boss told you not to, that is a hostile work environment.

    However, if you are being picked on because your supervisor was doing something incorrectly, you showed him the proper method, and he took offense rather than thanking you, that is crass, but it is not a hostile work environment. If coworkers are giving you trouble because you supported a different candidate in the last election than they did, that's narrow minded, but it is not legally a hostile work environment, as party affiliations are not a protected class.

    Hope that gives you an idea, but if not, you might want to check with an employment law attorney about the specifics of your case.

    See question 
  • Hello, I work as a receptionist and I was put on salary when I first started. I work way over 40 hrs a week and obviously don't

    get paid. I was just informed by another person that I work with that in the State of WA it is illegal for a receptionist to be exempt, could you help me with that?

    Susan’s Answer

    There are a few ways in which you might be exempt depending on your job description, but it is highly unlikely. Many employers have the mistaken idea that if you pay someone a salary, they are exempt, and that is not true. A salaried employee can still be entitled to overtime time for hours worked beyond 40 per week. The key is the job description, not the way compensation is disbursed.

    Many employment law attorneys will do free initial consultations. You might do well to speak with an attorney about the particulars of your job description, and if you are not exempt, about options you may have to correct the situation.

    See question 
  • Can a case be filed against a woman who is publicly posting her pictures with a married man?

    My friend's husband has been having extra marital affairs for months now. Since her husband started the affair, his mistress has been posting their pictures together on her facebook account. My friend confronted her husband and requested him to t...

    Susan’s Answer

    If the subject of the pictures, the husband, has no objection to the fact that the pictures are being made public, then there is no case. Is it mean-spirited and just plain trashy of the woman to post the pictures? Absolutely. Is it illegal? No.

    I'm going to check "not sure" on the question about whether a lawyer is needed. No lawyer can make the husband and his mistress stop this, but your friend should consult a lawyer if she decides she is ready to move on with her life without this guy.

    See question 
  • My job owes me thousands in back wages what can i do?.

    I work at hotel as front desk manager. I have been here for about a year and 2 months now and work 45- 50 hours per week on a salary of 1000.00 a month that adds up to a little over 6.00 an hour our min wage is 8.67. I have been told that it has t...

    Susan’s Answer

    Under Washington law, you are entitled to double damages and attorneys fees if your employer intentionally withholds pay due to you. I suggest you go talk to an employment law attorney. Many will do an initial consultation for free.

    You will want to talk to an attorney before you take further steps because it may be that you are receiving compensation in some other form (e.g. free housing) and would not have a case. There are other specifics that an attorney would also need to check into.

    Assuming you do have a case, you can file a claim against your employer. They might well fire you, which is a risk you will take. You will have an additional claim against them, and would also likely qualify for unemployment, but your immediate income would still be cut.

    In the alternative, you could find another job (I know, easier said than done) and then pursue your case.

    See question 
  • Lost hearing in one ear at work labor and industries wants to close the case but i have serious life long complications.

    work related injurie

    Susan’s Answer

    I normally hate to answer questions by simply saying, "You need to get a lawyer", but in this case I must. Sad to say, I have never heard of an L & I case being resolved in favor of the injured worker unless he or she had an attorney experienced in this field representing him or her. Certain government agencies seem to have a "No!" tatoo on their foreheads, and L & I is one of those. I DO NOT practice this kind of law, but there are many competent and compassionate attorneys who do. Most understand that people in your position do not usually have a stash of cash, and so many if not most will represent you on a contingency basis.

    Good luck!

    See question