Skip to main content
Scott Emmett Wonder

Scott Wonder’s Answers

3 total

  • Criminal Rehabilitation for visit Canada

    Hello! I had a DUI on June 2002 I was charged with 1 day on jail and pay a fee! took classes about driving under the influence of alcohol can cause serious problems! If I have the 10 yes do I still have to fill the form for rehabilitation and ...

    Scott’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    Canada has three procedures for people convicted of DUI -- deemed rehabilitation, early rehabilitation, and temporary residence permits. You can get deemed rehabilitation once 10 years have passed from the time you completed all your DUI sentence obligations -- this includes your day in jail, your fine, your license reinstatement, any ignition interlock, and anything else you had to do. The 10 years doesn't begin to run until you have completed all your sentence obligations. If less than 10 years but more than 5 years has passed from completion of your affirmative sentence obligations, you can seek to get deemed rehabilitation, but this requires you complete the deemed rehabilitation form, pay the processing fee, and have it approved. This typically takes a long time. Finally, you can seek a temporary residence permit to go to Canada on a one time basis, but these TPRs depend on you persuading the Canadian border agency to let you in, which is something the border agents have a lot of discretion when they make their decision. If less than 10 years have passed since everything was done, you should not plan on going to the border without a problem.

    See question 
  • I got a DUI I'm current nursing student will this affect my career?

    I am currently going to court for a DUI, first time offense ever BAC of .081. I am currently a student going for my LPN will any charge that will come out of this affect my schooling and career? Is it worth me continueing?

    Scott’s Answer

    It is very important you speak with a DUI defense attorney about your case. A good attorney can frequently get a first time DUI charge in Tacoma where the breath test result is less than .089 reduced to a lesser charge. In addition, you may be able to avoid the Department of Licensing administrative suspension.

    This is important because action by the Department of Health is not triggered by you being charged; it is triggered if you are convicted of DUI. While a single conviction will not prevent you from pursuing a career as an LPN now, rules frequently change, and a conviction may end up being a problem in the future. This is in addition to other problems and complications associated with a DUI charge and a potential DUI conviction. Working with a good DUI defense attorney can increase your chances of avoiding a DUI conviction and minimize the complications associated with whatever happens in your case.

    See question 
  • Shoplifting in Rite Aid, Washington State

    My wife was caught shoplifting $16 worth of items in Rite Aid, Washington State and now received a civil demand letter from Palmer, Reifler & Associates, P.A. in Florida, saying that she needs to pay $575.00. I think that is way too much for the p...

    Scott’s Answer

    It is important you and your wife consult with a criminal defense attorney before responding to the civil demand letter. A skilled criminal defense attorney may be able to negotiate the civil demand to a lower amount and obtain documentation that could possibly be used under Washington's compromise of misdemeanor statutes to avoid a criminal conviction, fines, and the possibility of jail for the shoplifting theft.

    Many people who ignore these civil demand letters not only face potential damage to their credit and civil judgments, but miss an opportunity to defend the theft charge under the compromise of misdemeanor statutes. This is why speaking to an attorney prior to responding to the civil demand letter is extremely important.

    See question