Skip to main content
Matthew Allen Brinegar

Matthew Brinegar’s Answers

2 total

  • A Debit Collector placed a lien on my property, however this debit is not mine.

    This lien was placed because it was the last known address of my 42 year old son who used my address for all his mail. He is not the owner of this property so how can someone put a lien on my property? And, what can I do about it? I can't affor...

    Matthew’s Answer

    If your son is not on the deed, you may have a pretty good lawsuit against the debt collector. I take these cases on a contingency basis (meaning, you don't pay anything to me unless you win) exclusive of costs. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this issue:


    See question 
  • I want to file an injunction to stop the unlawful sale of my home.

    I was in the process of a loan modification with Seterus, when I received a sale date letter. Seterus agent apologized for the miscommunication on an unsigned form that set my due date on documents for loan mod past due. I was also told that if my...

    Matthew’s Answer

    Existing law under the Perata Mortgage Relief Act and Home Affordable Modification Program is weak. There are some possible claims to make, but I would need more facts in order to evaluate them. Some of these rights go away after a foreclosure has gone though. Because of this, I suggest you consult with a competent attorney as soon as possible.

    Chapter 13 bankruptcy might be ideal for you, because (1) you would stop the foreclosure; (2) you could force the lender to accept a payment plan for the past due mortgage payments over a 3 to 5 year period; (3) you may have claims against the lender and servicer that could reduce how much you owe.

    I am located in San Francisco, have years of experience dealing with foreclosures and bankruptcies as an attorney for such non-profits as the Center for Responsible Lending and the AARP Legal Counsel for the Elderly.

    I offer a free 30 minute consultation. You're welcome to contact me here:

    The Brinegar Law Firm
    672 Ivy Street
    San Francisco, CA 94102
    415-735-6856 (ph)
    415-520-9287 (f)

    This reply to your legal question does not constitute legal advice or establish an attorney-client relationship.

    See question