Skip to main content
Jess Y. Matsuda

Jess Matsuda’s Answers

2 total

  • Got a citation for Fail give approp signal when required..need info.

    Details: First ticket, First time driver for 6 months, Live in NV las vegas. Well i got pulled over for speeding and fail to give signal. He gave me a warning for speeding but i got citated for the other (V#484B.413) $192 fine. I need to know; ...

    Jess’s Answer

    Usually, if you hire an attorney to handle a citation such as this, your attorney can negotiate the citation down to a non-moving parking ticket. This would mean that there would be no demerit points issued to the DMV, your insurance will not increase and you can also avoid traffic school. You most likely will not have to appear in court as well.

    However, you can adjudicate this citation yourself. You could plead not guilty at the initial court appearance, set it for a pretrial hearing and speak to the prosecutor. At this time, the prosecutor will proffer a resolution on your case, which in most instances will be the same offer as above. One caveat to adjudicating this citation yourself is the fact that you'll have to attend court on at least a couple of occasions.

    See question 
  • I was arrested for Theft 3 (misdemeanor) in Hawaii and have an arraignment hearing in 2 weeks. I have no idea what to expect.

    Do I need a lawyer at an arraingment? How do I plead? Will I most likely go to jail? I'm at a total loss here. I would just like to know what to do so that I don't go to jail or pay a ton of money that I don't have. Thanks in advance for any advic...

    Jess’s Answer

    An arraignment is the formal reading of charges against a person. This is also the opportunity for someone charged with a crime to enter a plea. You don't necessarily need an attorney at the arraignment, however, it is recommended. If a person can not afford an attorney, and if the prosecutor is seeking jail, that person will be given a court-appointed attorney. Usually at the arraignment the Judge will inform you to hire an attorney or if one will be appointed based on your finances.

    See question