Skip to main content
Warren Vincent Norred

Warren Norred’s Answers

929 total

  • I am a musician and songwriter. What legal process do I need to go through in order to cover another band's song?

    Explain the process if I wanted to make money off the cover of the song and if I didn't want to make a profit. Curious about both situations.

    Warren’s Answer

    The cheapest approach is to contact the copyright holder to see if it will agree to allow you to use the song. if not, because you can't get through the bureaucracy, then contact the Harry Fox Agency to get a mechanical license.

    Or if you aren't going to make money, and it's being used in a non-profit setting, and you are never going to sell the song, and it will never be famous, then you can roll the dice.

    See question 
  • Are judgments on a public list at city hall or somewhere. That is, can a person see a list of all the judgments in the county

    I won a judgment. It is and all the other judgments on a list that everyone can go look at on a list at the court house or on a county or state or national website etc.

    Warren’s Answer

    While there is no public list, if you file the abstract in the county property records, it should eventually show up on public record data searches concerning your defendant. In theory, your defendant will carry it around until it has been paid.

    See question 
  • Setting aside s judgement for fraud upon the court. Is it likely the 5th circuit will reverse a federal judges error or fraud?

    I have over three police officers a federal judge that have all been retired in wake if my allegations against two police departments and officers with personel connections to federal authorities and judges. I have detected fraud in the defendants...

    Warren’s Answer

    The safe bet is that the federal courts rarely reverse the trial courts. There are lots of people who sound just like you do, and attorneys learn through experience that many of these claims are based on very *unique* interpretations of what has happened.

    I'm answering your question this way so you can see the hard truth from a disinterested individual. No one has paid me off, and I don't know you, or your case. I DO know of many people who have come to me and sought help, and they had no money, and their case, while ironclad in their own mind, was really, really weak.

    Odds are that there will be no reversal. That's just the odds. Good luck to you.

    See question 
  • Civil case judgement filed Jan,6 2006 wasn't refiled until May 15,2016 .Did the time run out on them because it wasn't refiled

    Live in Texas bought jet ski in Oklahoma got in difficult situation couldn't pay for it one day got up it was gone so They repo it then file on me for some ungodly amount which now $22,000.00 But name mis-spelled ......It was over 10 year before ...

    Warren’s Answer

    I'm not sure if you are talking about a new case, or a refiling of an abstract after ten years, or a new case based on the old debt, or something else entirely.

    If you have been served, take whatever paperwork you have received to a local attorney to figure it out.

    See question 
  • I am behind on maintenance dues in a subdivision,they want me to agree to pay in full within 90 days.I can't pay that amount.

    I am physically disabled and on a low fixed income.I own my home and I want to pay the dues I owe.but it is not possible for me to do that within the 90 days they want me to agree to. I told them I can make monthly payments based on my income.they...

    Warren’s Answer

    If you can't pay what they demand, send them a letter telling them what you CAN do, and then actually do it.

    What too many people try to do in this situation is tell the HOA a sob story and ask for a complete forgiveness of the debt. That's highly unlikely. Start paying the HOA off as you can - only when they see you are paying them back will they back off.

    See question 
  • What is required on a second letter from a third party debt collector?

    I have an outstanding debt to a medical institution. They now have a third party debt collector attempting to collect the debt. I received a letter yesterday from them demanding full payment. However, I was wondering what required disclaimers must...

    Warren’s Answer

    In my humble opinion, it is not that these letters are missing required information, but often have misrepresentative statements that are not allowed.

    See for the requirements of the FDCPA.

    See question 
  • Next steps? Charges?

    A few months ago I purchased a vehicle with a dealership. Total sale price 15,121. This was a lien and titles in the vehicle was repoed for non-payment. The vehicle was not settled with the bank and no car was recovered for the bank and t...

    Warren’s Answer

    There are missing details that would make a difference to the story. I'd take all the documentation to a local attorney and see if he can connect the dots. It may be that it's a simple matter to ensure what the full story is. You may have nothing to do but get proper notification to the credit agencies that the debt is resolved, or there may be a lot more to it.

    See question 
  • Where can I find information regarding mechanic/shop liens.

    I own a small motorcycle shop. I have several customers that have left their motorcycles here for weeks without paying for the work performed. They either do not return my calls or make appointments to pay the bill and pick up the motorcycles, t...

    Warren’s Answer

    Liens are filed with the county in which the action occurred. You can look them up online in many counties. BUT, you really want to get help with this, so you don't get into trouble. The rules are pretty exacting, and even attorneys screw it up - getting competent assistance is too cheap.

    See question 
  • (1) What is the federal criminal code for defaulting on a federal student loan and (2) how long can one be sentenced default? Recently, a Texas man claimed he was put in jail and then forced by a judge to sign a repayment plan for a $1,500 bill from 1987, according to Houston Fox 26. ...

    Warren’s Answer

    The previous answer is correct. I would add to her answer that, while you cannot get into trouble in this country for merely not paying one's bills (outside of child support), not responding to a court's order WILL get you into jail.

    This is the series of events:
    1) Creditor sues student who is not paying his bill.
    2) Student ignores the suit.
    3) Creditor gets a default judgment because student ignored the suit.
    4) Creditor sends post-judgment interrogatories to student, who ignores them as well.
    5) Creditor asks the court to enforce the rules about a requirement to answer the interrogatories.
    6) Creditor eventually asks the court to put the student into jail until student answers the question.
    7) After multiple opportunities for the student to comply with the court's orders, the frustrated court finally gives in and orders the arrest of the student.

    We do not have debtors' prison in this country any more (except for child support), but courts absolutely enforce the right of creditors in litigation to demand responses to proper discovery.

    See question 
  • If a fabric is copyrighted, how similar can the fabric be to the copyrighted fabric bf it's considered infringement?

    I have a online boutique page and some of my wholesalers get ideas from other designers and make there own. The style is never the same but the fabric will be similar. Not exact maybe a different color or something. Can I get in trouble for carryi...

    Warren’s Answer

    Ah, how close one can get to an existing fabric without infringing is a very common question. One way to look at it is to see what other fabrics are around, and how different the various other fabrics are. If you can find a million designs that are very close together, then we call that a "crowded" art, and you can get a lot closer than if there is one design, and no other designs that are close. It is often a jury issue.

    See question