Skip to main content
Derek Robert Allen

Derek Allen’s Answers

2 total

  • What is the best course of action?

    I signed a paper with my info on it allowing a ring shop to run my credit for an engagement ring. The guy who I was getting engaged with didn't have good enough credit to get it by himself. He got the ring and I never signed any finalizing documen...

    Derek’s Answer

    The first issue you need to determine is whether you signed anything that puts you on the hook for the payments. If you didn't, the shop shouldn't be coming after you for the payments. If you did commit to paying for the ring, then any potential claims you have would be against your ex.

    Sometimes hiring a lawyer to send him a nasty letter is enough to take care of the situation. Depending on the amount at issue, your other options include things like taking him to small claims court or to your local county court to either recoup the money or force him to turn the ring over to you.

    See question 
  • Would I have had good cause to turn down employment based on Wisconsin unemployment standards?

    The Wisconsin unemployment handbook states that I would still be eligible for UI benefits if I quit a job within the first 30 days of employment and also could have refused with good cause. After receiving unemployment benefits for 3 months an...

    Derek’s Answer

    In Wisconsin, "good cause" for quitting generally requires some fault on behalf of the employer. Based on what you've written, it's tough to tell whether that is the case here. If your benefits are terminated, your best bet is to consult with an attorney who has experience in this area to help you determine whether it is worth fighting the decision.

    See question