Skip to main content
Ernesto Romero

Ernesto Romero’s Answers

4 total

  • I owe a large amount of back child support. I am currently making required monthly child support payments.

    Can the state of WI/Milwaukee County, still garnish my checks concurrently?

    Ernesto’s Answer

    If you are paying your required court-ordered payments, you should not worry. Keep in mind that they will withhold your tax refunds and place liens on your property regardless and place restrictions on your passport---blocking your right to travel abroad. This is with the understanding that you owe a sizable amount. As the other attorney suggested, always have an experienced attorney review all of your legal paperwork. Sometimes, the custodial parent owed the arrears will forgive 5% to 100% of the whole thing. Stipulations may be reached to create a win/win situation for all parties. The State, however, will want to collect on their R&D fees 100% of the time and the state payments made to the custodial parent. Sometimes, the State will even forgive those state paid arrears under the right circumstances. Wishing you $0 balances soon.

    See question 
  • Ho do we get our three year old back, that has been in our home for over 2 years? we where supposed to adopt him,didnt happen!!!

    our lisenceing worker quit on us and we had no idea and neither did our social worker until 4 days before our placement hearing which was on july 2 and they removed him from our home on the 3rd and we had an appointment on the5th with our new work...

    Ernesto’s Answer

    You will need to set up a consultation with a Milwaukee attorney who concentrates in this area. Few of them do. Atty. Stephanie Renee Benske at Brazil Thelen & Benske SC knows adoption law and I have confidence in her ability to point you in the right direction. Her address is:
    3821 S Howell Ave
    Milwaukee, WI 53207-3840
    Contact her at:
    Phone: (414) 744-2757
    Fax: (414) 744-2738
    Warmest regards, Atty. Ernesto Romero

    See question 
  • My name is Rachel Reed and

    i need a lawyer to talk to about my 8yr old that lives with my and i can i get her back what do i have to do....

    Ernesto’s Answer

    It appears that your case may be a Children's Court type of case. Your main job right now is to write down a brief, but fact-filled parental history to assit your attorney in fighting for what is in your child's best future interests. The history should be as detailed as possible. There are sample ones online. Please contact my office if you have any other questions.

    See question 
  • Before marriage my wife owned her house i moved into her house i made big investment in remodeling the house im i intitle to any

    I invested in to remodeling of the patio and up stairs im i intitle to any equity investment after the divorce

    Ernesto’s Answer

    Marriage in Wisconsin is seen as an economic partnership. It is an equitable distribution partnership. The house is divisible marital property under Chapter 767, Wis. Stats. The fact is that you "made a big investment" in remodeling the house. Under normal conditions, it should have appreciated the home's value. You should be entitled to recoup money from the partnership including a share of the equity depending on the intent of any agreements you may have had. You need to consult with a lawyer immediately to protect your rights and to plan out an equitable division as too many questions still remain unanswered. There are law review articles online to start learning more.

    See question