Skip to main content
Barry Robert Conybeare

Barry Conybeare’s Answers

5 total

  • I just purchased a used car, and had plpd for insurance. It was hit by someone that didn't have insurance.

    He was cited a ticket for no proof of insurance and careless driving. He has the money for an attorney but, not to fix the damages to my car. I can't drive it now, and have to appear in court for this incident. I have left several messages with...

    Barry’s Answer

    I am going to answer your question, but this does not create an attorney client relationship. In Michigan, there is no-fault insurance, which generally means we must insure ourselves. With PLPD only, you probably do not have collision coverage. Thus, your ins co will not pay to fix your car (you likely already know this). Unfortunately, the at fault driver is ONLY liable for the "mini-tort" which amounts to $500. The $500 is the maximum you can get from the at fault driver for the damage to your car.

    See question 
  • How much can someone sue me if I hit their car?

    I was just involved in an accident for the first time and it was my fault. The car that I hit was damaged badly compared to my car (it looked like a brand new), she was unhurt physically but I had some minor injury. The police said that her car w...

    Barry’s Answer

    I am a michigan lawyer who handles auto wreck claims. assuming you had insurace on your car at the time of the wreck, your liability to the other driver for property damage to her car is limited to no more than $500, or the amount of her collision damage deductible, whichever is less. this is called the "mini-tort." thus, regardless of the amount of damage to her car, you, or your insurance co, cannot owe more than $500.

    i am not addressing when and how the other driver can bring a claim against you for injuries because you suggest she suffered none.

    for your injuries, you have coverage for medical expense, wage loss, and a few other benefits, from your auto insurance carrier.

    See question 
  • I didn't have insurance when I got into a car accident and the cop file a report and said i was with progresseve what do i do ?

    I was crossing a intersection the other vechile ran a red light hit the driver side, the vechile that hit us did not have damge at all. This all happend May 2008 and I am just now receving a letter from Grant weber saying my licesen suspended beca...

    Barry’s Answer

    it is a violation of michigan law to operate a vehicle you own without proper michigan auto insurance. it appears you violated this law. while the officer mistakenly recorded that you had insurance with progressive, the fact is you did not. while i do not understand your reference to "grant weber" saying your license is suspended, i suspect that if follow-up investigation was done and it was determined that you did not have insurance that the police could issue a belated citation for driving without proper insurance. there are some very significant potential penalties in michigan for driving without insurance, including the fines for the ticket, the potential of having to pay for the medical care others receive as a result of the wreck whether you were at fault or not, the barring of your ability to bring a claim for injuries against the person who was at fault, etc.). i would strongly recommend that you not continue the practice.

    See question 
  • I was hit by an uninsured driver and had to pay my $500 deductible. what are my options?

    It happened about three years ago and my tax guy said that I could not deduct it as a I have any redress?

    Barry’s Answer

    I am a Michigan lawyer who handles auto accident cases. Under Michigan's auto insurance system, you can sue the at fault driver in small claims court for the $500 deductible. However, there is a 3 year statute of limitations. You must collect the $500 from the at fault driver or sue him within 3 years or your claim is barred forever.

    See question 
  • Car accident and bicycle accident under MI state law who has right of way?

    if a car strikes (or is struck) a bicyclist as it (the car) exits a parking lot, who is responsible? In this case the driver failed to stop at the sidewalk and drove over and damaged my bike.

    Barry’s Answer

    I am a Michigan attorney. In Michigan, we have a no fault law for auto accidents claims. Under the no fault law, you are entitled to recover the value of your damaged property from the auto insurance company for the vehicle involved in the wreck. It does not matter whether you, or the driver of the auto, were at fault for the crash. Either way, the auto ins on the car pays the property damage.

    You should get a copy of the police report. It will identify the name of the insurance company for the auto. You can then submit your claim to that company. You only have a one year statute of limitations to make the property damage claim. If you do not get reimbursed for the costs of the damage within one year, then you must file suit against the insurance company (not the driver/owner of the car) or your property damage claim is barred.

    From your question, I assume you did not suffer any physical injury in the crash. If you did, the rules are significantly different for your recovery of medical expense, wage loss, pain, suffering, etc.

    See question