Skip to main content
Joumana Boutros Kayrouz

Joumana Kayrouz’s Answers

2 total

  • Can I sue for the damages to my car? When the other person claimed fault and got ticketed?

    Hello, My name is Shelby and have recently been in an accident a few days go that lead to my car being totaled. I was driving at 50 mph and a lady pulled right out in front of me from a turn around. With no time to stop. I t-boned her. my car is c...

    Joumana’s Answer

    You are right. Whoever said that laws are always fair?? If they were, we wouldn't be constantly working to change them or to come up with more fair laws. Yes, you can only recover $1,000 from the at-fault striking vehicle, although your loss amounts to a lot more than that, not only in dollars, but in aggravation, lack of mobility, and more. And since you could not afford to purchase the additional, extremely costly, collision coverage, all you can get is $1,000.
    To receive that money, send a letter to the at fault driver with a copy of the police report showing you are not fault and a copy of your declaration page showing that you carried no collision coverage.

    See question 
  • Can (pip) benefits paid by primary insurance co. be recovered from the at fault drivers insurance co ?

    just need to know if what is the responsibility of at fault drivers company.

    Joumana’s Answer

    No. Michigan is a no-fault state, which means each injured person , if carries personal car insurance, looks to her/his own insurance company for payment of pip benefits REGARDLESS OF fault. If the injured person does not carry car insurance but lives with a relative who does, it is that car insurance that is responsible for payment. When the injured person does not have car insurance and does not live with a relative who does, then as long as that injured person is not driving his own uninsured car involved in the accident, then the State of MI assigns a car insurance to pay those benefits.
    The ONLY time an injured person recovers pip benefits from the at fault driver is when s/he is a pedestrian without her/his own car insurance and does not s/he live with a relative who has car insurance.

    See question