Skip to main content
Adam Troy Savett

Adam Savett’s Answers

140 total

  • GMC ignition switch class action?????

    I have paid for my replacement ignition with the same faulty conditions as the recall states. However GMC refuses to reimburse me.

    Adam’s Answer

    There have been a number of cases already filed and they have been consolidated in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, before U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman.

    Judge Furman has appointed three lawyers as temporary lead counsel for plaintiffs in the ignition switch lawsuits filed against GM:

    Steve Berman, managing partner of Seattle’s Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro;
    Mark Robinson, senior partner at Robinson Calcagnie Robinson Shapiro Davis in Newport Beach, Calif.; Elizabeth Cabraser, a partner at San Francisco’s Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein.

    All three of these attorneys served in lead roles in litigation against Toyota Motor Corp. over sudden acceleration defects.

    All of the firms have webpages with contact details and the ability to submit information for review by an attorney.

    Note that these firms do NOT represent you unless and until you sign a retainer agreement with one of them, or you are free to retain another firm to evaluate your possible case.

    Also, this situation is still continuing to evolve, with additional cars being added to the existing recall.

    If your vehicle is one that already has been recalled, then you should be able to get reimbursed.

    If not, then the attorneys may be able to research your situation and help you.

    Good luck.

    See question 
  • I was told about a class-action suit commenced in California (US District Court), and was intrigued so see the complaint and

    exhibits posted online. Would the ensuing discovery requests, if any, and the answers thereto, also be published online? I am considering contacting an atty about a different matter in California, with it possibly landing in the same court, as well.

    Adam’s Answer

    The discovery itself is almost never in the public record, but the requests (interrogatories, document requests, etc. can sometimes be filed with the Court.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Is it legal to operate a bitcoin "ATM" in the USA?

    Bitcoin ATMs are essentially machines in which a person can input fiat currency (many currencies, not just US dollars) and receive bitcoins via email (it's a private key). This relates to financial regulation and money transfer law. ...

    Adam’s Answer

    You already are up on the learning curve as you understand that state and federal laws are going to apply to this issue.

    There are going to be lots of laws that apply, and you have already spelled some of them out:

    Anti Money Laundering laws
    Know Your Customer laws, etc

    This is at best a gray area right now, so who would regulate this operation and how is going to be an evolving question.

    I would suggest finding a lawyer specializing in foreign currency or financing issues to see if they could help you.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Do I have a say in who my son lives with?

    My son is living with a register sex offender and a woman who is of no relation to my son and my son's mother is allowing this to happen. What can I legally do? I want a Guardian ad litem appointed to talk to my son but my lawyer is saying that is...

    Adam’s Answer

    You already have a lawyer, so you should start with what they are telling you, as they will have more information than can be conveyed here.

    There are lots of questions that would need to be asked before someone can sort out what is going on here and what your best course of action is. For example:

    1. Do you still have parental rights?
    2. Is there a custody agreement in place already?
    3. How do you know that this person is a sex offender?
    4. How old is your son?
    5. Etc.

    Have a frank talk with your lawyer.

    If you don't like their answer, you are free to get a second opinion, but do so in person where someone can fully understand the issues.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Hello I'm looking for an attorney who can handle a case in Florida. ..hostel work enviroment, threats and discrimination.

    Papers ready filed with EEOC Dept

    Adam’s Answer

    You should find an attorney to assist you.

    One that specializes in employment law representing employees.

    Many will offer a free consultation.

    Use the find a lawyer feature on Avvo, or look at NELA, linked to below.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • My landlord is tells me I owe more money for a deposit but I have been living there over 6 months. Do I have to pay this?

    I moved in my apartment in the middle of June and have been living there since. I paid $150 deposit and my paperwork I was given said $465 for half a month and then $872 is what I would pay a month. Now over 6 months later, my landlord is telling ...

    Adam’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    You have to look at your lease first and see what the terms are of your rental. The lease is a contract between you and the owner / agent of the apartment building.

    If you and the landlord both signed the lease and it spells out what the security deposit is, then yes, you have to pay it.

    You may be able to work out a payment plan or something else to give some more time to pay it out.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • What type of lawyer do I need to contact to file a class action suit concerning a Hippa violation.

    I have been denied life insurance because the company I applied to received a report from Milliman Intelliscript services. AAA Life Insurance Company informed me that Milliman Intelliscript provided my prescription history to them and they used ...

    Adam’s Answer

    Two companies, Milliman and Ingenix, buy individual prescription information from Pharmacy benefit Managers (PBMs) and compile that information into reports. A report generally covers your prescriptions for a five-year period, including dosages, dates, refills, and prescribing doctors.

    Insurance companies buy prescription drug reports to verify what you put on your application for individual life, health, or similar coverage. Insurance companies also use the reports to determine risk, set premiums, and decide whether to insure you at all. They can obtain this legally protected personal health information because when you apply for most individual policies where your health is a risk factor (such as life insurance), you sign an authorization to release it.

    A prescription report provides a risk score based on the drugs you take. Higher scores imply potentially higher medical costs. Insurers use electronic prescription reporting services because they are more efficient, less time-consuming, and cheaper than requesting your prescription information from each of your health care providers.

    For many years, individuals had no protections with respect to the use of their prescription information in these reports. This is primarily because prescription reporting companies don’t fall under most state or federal laws regulating the privacy and security of medical information.

    However, in 2007, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) issued a consent order declaring Ingenix and Milliman to be consumer reporting agencies (CRAs) subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Prescription reporting companies are CRAs because they compile and analyze consumer information (prescriptions) and furnish that information to insurers to use in determining individuals’ eligibility for insurance.

    The FTC’s action settled claims that the companies violated the consumer-reporting law by failing to notify insurers of their responsibilities under the FCRA. These responsibilities include, among other things, notifying individuals who are denied insurance because of their prescription reports and providing them with a means to request a copy of the report and have any errors corrected.

    The FTC’s determination gives individuals some recourse, but it does nothing to protect the privacy of their medical information. Individuals would have greater privacy and security protections if prescription reporting companies were considered covered entities under HIPAA because they access or receive protected health information. At this time prescription reporting companies are NOT considered covered entities under HIPAA, so there is not a violation of HIPAA for them to access and sell this data.

    There will be a prescription report on you only if you have applied for individual health, life, long-term care, or similar insurance in the last five years.

    To find out if a report exists, obtain a copy, and request corrections, you can call Milliman at 877-211-4816 and Ingenix at 888-206-0335.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Need tax number for my company in New York

    I am citizen Mexico. I apply to move to America. My lawyer formed a company for me in New York. I want to open bank account for company. My lawyer says can't get tax number for company because I am not American resident. Please help me.

    Adam’s Answer

    There are different types of "Taxpayer Identification Numbers" issued for different purposes.

    Examples include:

    Social Security Number "SSN"
    Employer Identification Number "EIN"
    Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN"

    Generally a SSN or ITIN is for an individual and an EIN is for an entity, such as a corporation or an LLC.

    Depending on your situation, you may need both an ITIN and an EIN, as you are likely not currently eligible for a SSN.

    Talk to a qualified business or immigration attorney for more help on this issue.

    I have linked to some IRS publications below that may help you understand the issues a little better as well.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Need to find the beneficial Owner of a Bahamas Corporation,

    Have the stock registration Certificate

    Adam’s Answer

    I agree with the prior answer, but have included a link to the Registrar General's website.

    Best of luck.

    See question 
  • Can a Canadian based company with office in Boston fire me because I must have surgery and will be out for 2-4 wks?

    I work for a Canadian based company since early August. My boss has been on vaca for 2 weeks. I found out last Monday that I need an immediate hysterectomy due to a combination of problems. This morning she calls singing my praises and telling ...

    Adam’s Answer

    You should consult a local employment attorney immediately.

    Many will offer a free initial consultation to evaluate any potential claims you may have.

    You may need a copy of your contract (if you have one), any employee handbooks that your company has, and any termination letter you may have received.

    You can find someone on Avvo or you can try the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) , a group of lawyers that only represent employees.

    Best of luck.

    See question