Skip to main content
Caroly Pedersen

Caroly Pedersen’s Answers

2 total

  • I am a US Citizen, I married a citizen of the Dominican Republic. I want her to immigrate to the US.

    We are recently married. She holds a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 Visa. She travels to the US 3 or 4 times a year and would like to continue during this process. She is currently enrolled full time in a university in the Dominican Republic. I...

    Caroly’s Answer

    As a U.S. Citizen, you can sponsor your wife through a spousal petition, which takes about 6 months for approval and another several months for Consular processing. Since she is currently in school in the Dominican Republic, that would give her time to complete her present studies before immigrating.
    As an additional option, since she has a U.S. tourist visa, if she is in the U.S., she could adjust her status to U.S. Residency here, remaining in the U.S. to await her Residency, rather than through the above procedure called "consular processing", where she waits for her Immigrant visa abroad. I hope this is helpful to you.

    See question 
  • I have two kids both US citizens but we do not live in the US. The kids are 4 and 7 yrs.

    I would like to move to the US with them so that they can learn their country's history. I have a sister that is a US citizen and one that is a green card holder. I have never lived there before and all my medical bills for having my kids are paid...

    Caroly’s Answer

    Unfortuneately, as the parent of a U.S. Citizen, immigration regulations do not provide any special immigration benefits which would allow you to live in the U.S. with your children, until the children reach age 21 and can sponsor you for your residency. Your sister can file an immigration petition for you to immigrate, but it will take about 10 - 12 years in that category. You could explore obtaining an investment, work or study visa for yourself which would allow you to live in the U.S. while your children attend school. I hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know if you would like more information on investment, work or study visas.

    See question