JOHNLEE CURTIS is earning an M.B.A from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He also holds a Masters degree in International Trade Law and Economics, magna cum laude, from the World Trade Institute (Switzerland). He was awarded a Ph.D. fellowship from the University of Lucerne (Switzerland), where he taught graduate level law students the regulation of international trade, as a member of the University's faculty of law. Thereafter, through NCCR, the trade-advisory program sponsored by the Swiss government, Mr. Curtis served as an international trade law consultant in Berne, Lucerne, and Geneva in coordination with the International Communications and Art Law Lucerne at the University of Lucerne, the Berkman Center at Harvard University, and other centers of research, on the nexus between the rules governing international trade in cultural commodities and their application to new and emerging communication technologies. Thereafter, Mr. Curtis practiced law for many years at a prestigious Miami-based maritime and aviation law firm, where he founded the firm's art law practice group. Prior to his study and work in Europe, Mr. Curtis received his Juris Doctor degree from Stetson University College of Law, where he received the Book Award from professors Bickel and Lake, and the William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award. Mr. Curtis earned his Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Furman University, while maintaining a full music (violin performance) scholarship.
Mr. Curtis has handled a wide variety of business and asset acquisition deals, as well as disputes in state and federal courts and before international arbitration tribunals. The following are selected matters, both contentious and non-contentious, that Mr. Curtis has handled:
· Advising companies in the aerospace and commercial aviation industry in connection with the acquisition, sale, and leasing of aircraft, aircraft engines, and airframes both domestically and internationally.
· Advising high-net worth individuals in connection with the acquisition, sale, and charter of megayachts and superyachts, including with regard to issues of financing, insurance, registration/documentation/flagging, taxation, SPE structuring, and liability. Some notable vessels represented include: M/Y Lady Moura, M/Y Tatoosh, M/Y Cakewalk, M/Y Kismet, M/Y Mylin IV, and M/Y Never Enough.
· Advising high-net worth individuals in connection with the acquisition, sale, and leasing of private aircraft, including with regard to issues of financing, insurance, registration, taxation, SPE structuring, and liability management.
· Advising high-net worth individuals in connection with the acquisition and sale of art works, including with regard to issues of financing, insurance, gift/bequest, taxation, liability management, SPE structuring and disputes.
· Advising non-profit organizations in connection with issues of fundraisers, advertising, asset acquisition and sale, and taxation.
· Advising import/export companies in connection with regulatory compliance, international trade laws, and customs seizures.
· Advising artists, such as emerging contemporary artist Alvaro Ilizarbe, in various contract negotiations with companies, for their use of art and industrial design on commercial products.
· Advising a bank in connection with certain loans and mortgages for which yachts and aircraft were pledged as security.
· Advising a treasure claimant of the storied “Black Swan” shipwreck achieving a satisfactory settlement.
· Advising art galeries, such as The VanhaerentsCollection, in connection with art sale disputes with artists and art dealers, achieving satisfactory results.
· Litigating a maritime “wake damage” case on behalf of the plaintiff in a Florida federal court, achieving a multi-million dollar judgment.
· Litigating a maritime salvage case on behalf of a salvor in a Florida federal court, achieving a satisfactory settlement.
· Litigating a yacht brokerage dispute on behalf of a large yacht brokerage house, achieving a satisfactory settlement.
· Litigating a yacht refit dispute on behalf of a vendor, achieving a full judgment and recovery of the amount sought.
· Litigating an appellate action for attorney’s fees on behalf of a defendant, successfully reducing the attorney fee award from over $2 Million to under $12,000.
· Arbitrating disputes in connection with new yacht construction projects and breaches of contract in domestic and international arbitration forums.
Mr. Curtis also has foreign language skills in French and German.
He presently serves in-house as Vice President and Corporate Counsel for AeroTurbine, Inc., where he advises on a variety of corporate and commercial law issues.
Languages spoken: French, German, English
Are you an attorney? Endorse this lawyer
I have known Johnlee Curtis for many years and I am happy to endorse him. We have worked together on projects in the past and I can say from personal experience that he is a very hard-working attorney who truly cares about doing a great job for his clients.
Relationship: Worked together on matter
|FL||Member in Good Standing||2007||06/17/2016|
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Aviation 100 - Lessor of the Year: ILFC||Airline Economics Magazine||2013|
|Florida Legal Elite - Top Up & Coming Attorneys||Florida Trends Magazine||2012|
|Ph.D. Fellowship||University of Lucerne||2005|
|William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award||Stetson University College of Law||2004|
|Music Scholarship (4 year)||Furman University||1998|
|Vice President, Corporate Counsel||AeroTurbine, Inc.||2015 - Present|
|Senior Associate Counsel||AeroTurbine, Inc.||2013 - 2015|
|Chairman, Art Law Practice Group||Moore & Company, PA||2007 - 2012|
|Attorney||Moore & Company, P.A.||2007 - 2012|
|Faculty Member||University of Lucerne||2005 - 2006|
|International Trade Law Consultant||NCCR (Swiss Government)||2005 - 2006|
|N/A||Holland & Knight, LLP||2001 - 2001|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|LegalArt Miami||Attorney Contributor||2011 - Present|
|The International Seakeepers Society||Attorney||2010 - Present|
|Marine Banker's Association||Member||2010 - Present|
|Federal Bar Association||Member||2010 - Present|
|Coral Gables Bar Association||Member||2009 - Present|
|Dade County Bar Association||Member||2009 - Present|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit||Member||2009 - Present|
|Propeller Club||Member||2009 - Present|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit||Member||2008 - Present|
|Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute||Member||2008 - Present|
|Maritime Law Association of the United States||Member||2008 - Present|
|International Superyacht Society||Member||2008 - Present|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida||Member||2008 - Present|
|American Bar Association||Member||2007 - Present|
|Moore & Company Art Law Division||Chairman||2007 - Present|
|United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida||Member||2007 - Present|
|American Bar Association, International Law and Practice Section||Member||2007 - Present|
|Florida Yacht Broker's Association||Member||2007 - Present|
|United States Court of International Trade||Member||2007 - Present|
|Customs and International Trade Bar Association||Member||2007 - Present|
|International Communications and Art Law Lucerne||Attorney Contributor||2006 - Present|
|Phi Alpha Delta||Member||2002 - Present|
|Florida Bar Journal||Editorial Board||2012 - 2014|
|Florida Bar||Admiralty Law Committee||2012 - 2013|
|Marquis Who's Who||Member of Who's Who in American Law||2009 - 2010|
|H&R Yacht Service v. M/Y "SERQUE"||Recovery of Full Amount Sought|
|PBYB v. DONNICK||Plaintiff won an award at arbitration|
|Sea Tow Key Biscayne v OSG||Settled|
|See all legal cases|
|FYBA COMPASS||The Assistance A Maritime Lawyer Provides In Share Transfer Yacht Transactions||2012|
|FYBA Compass Magazine||Chartering in Italy and France: Query whether VAT can be avoided||2010|
|Wynwood: The Art Magazine - The Law of Art and the Art of Law column||A Glance at the Present State of Art Auction Signs and Symbols||2009|
|Wynwood: The Art Magazine - The Law of Art and the Art of Law column||The Fairey Use Doctrine: A Present Battle in the Legal Wars Arising from Derivative Art||2009|
|ArtPulse - The Law of Art and the Art of Law column||No Work of Art is Truely "Un-Titled": The Role of Title Insurance in the Art World||2009|
|Yacht Council||IYC Defeats Motion for 1.79 Million in Attorney’s Fees||2009|
|South of Fifth Magazine||Global Citizen: Profile on Attorney Johnlee Curtis||2009|
|FYBA Compass Magazine||New Yacht Ownership Structures in a Changing Ownership Environment||2008|
|International Journal of Cultural Property||Culture and the Digital Copyright Chimera: Assessing the International Regulatory System of the Music Industry in Relation to Cultural Diversity||2006|
|Northwestern University, Kellogg Graduate School of Management||Business||MBA||2017|
|Universität Bern - World Trade Institute||International Trade & Economics||Master of International Trade Law & Economics||2005|
|Stetson University College of Law||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||2004|
|Furman University||Political Science||BA - Bachelor of Arts||2001|