Andrew Copenhaver devotes his practice to the representation of individuals and families harmed by defective products, motor vehicle accidents, nursing home abuse and neglect, premises injuries and other incidents involving negligence in products liability, personal injury and wrongful death cases. Mr. Copenhaver currently serves as counsel in several catastrophic and fatal injury cases throughout Georgia and South Carolina and is responsible for all aspects of litigation from initial pleadings to trial. He is also involved in several class actions in Georgia and states throughout the country.
Prior to joining Bell & Brigham, Mr. Copenhaver clerked for the Honorable Dudley H. Bowen, Jr., United States District Judge for the Southern District of Georgia. In this capacity he gained valuable experience writing complex legal memoranda and, under the tutelage of Judge Bowen, gained valuable wisdom of what works in the courtroom.
Upon the completion of his clerkship with Judge Bowen, Mr. Copenhaver worked at a South Carolina plaintiff’s firm where he represented individuals injured in a fatal bus crash in Tunica, Mississippi, individuals harmed in truck accidents, and the family of a young man who was fatally injured by a defective tire. He and his wife, a history and social studies teacher at Augusta Prep, then returned to the strong family ties of Augusta. He is the nephew of Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver and the grandson of the late Bill Copenhaver, former Chairman and CEO of Columbia Nitrogen.
Outside of work, Mr. Copenhaver and his wife enjoy fishing, hunting and boating on the Savannah River with their Chocolate Lab “Roo”.
• South Carolina, 2009
• Georgia, 2010
• United States District Court, Southern District of Georgia (2010)
• B.A., 2006, Wake Forest University
• J.D., 2009, Charleston School of Law; Symposium Editor and Submissions Editor, Charleston Law Review; Charleston School of Law Merit Scholarship; Senator, Student Bar Association; Dean’s List; Chair, Academics and Curriculum Committee; Phi Delta Phi; CALI Award for Environmental Law
• State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Leadership Academy, Class of 2012
• State Bar of Georgia; Committee Member, YLD Ethics & Professionalism; Committee Member, YLD Litigation
• South Carolina Bar
• American Association for Justice
• American Bar Association
Additional Honors, Activities
• Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
• Augusta, Ga. Mayoral Proclamation naming March 13th as “Roberta and Drew Copenhaver Day”
• Intern to United States Senator Richard Burr
• Gore Presidential Campaign, Motorcade Driver
• North Carolina Senate, Page for President Pro Tempore Marc Basnight
• North Carolina Governor’s Office, Page for Governor James B. Hunt, Jr.