Skip to main content
Janet Elizabeth Hill

Janet Hill’s Answers

2 total

  • Is their any legal service for low income people in Ga., my employer fired me when my Mother died?

    I worked for a major company who takes pride in having good attorneys working for them, I was fired due to having to be off work when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and once she passed away the company fired me, now I am drawing unemployment and...

    Janet’s Answer

    While I am not aware of a legal services group in Georgia that represents low income workers in employment claims, many law firms, including my own, represent workers on a contingency fee basis. If your employer had 50 or more employees, you had worked there a year and worked 1250 hours, you may have rights under the Family & Medical Leave Act to take time off to care for your Mom (up to twelve weeks). These claims are fact intensive so I can't tell you for sure you have a claim but you should contact an employment attorney to make sure you know your rights.

    Also, you need to make sure you follow the appeals process for your unemployment claim so that you can have a hearing. Georgia Legal Services Program sometimes will represent workers in unemployment claims. You should also consider contacting your local GLSP office regarding your unemployment claim. There is an office in Athens. If they cannot help, you may also use a private attorney at the unemployment hearing.

    Janet Hill

    See question 
  • How do i get representation for a sexual harassment, discrimination ect. if I have a Right To Sue Notice in my possesion?

    My Spvsr groped me in the employee bathroom, stood in front of a glass door unzipped his pants & exposed himslf, told me while helping me taking a written test,unless its him,is sexual harassment tolerated at the work place?Spvsr told me,he knew I...

    Janet’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    The Georgia Chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association, of which I am a member, has a website with a listing of its members. To be a member of this organization the attorney must devote more than 50% of his or her practice to representing invidividuals in employment discrimination cases. In addition to having the attorneys' contact information the directory also has a description of the type cases each attorney handles.

    You should not delay in seeking representation since you only have 90 days from when you got the Notice of Right to Sue to file a lawsuit.

    You should also request a copy of your file from the EEOC, since it important to know what the company's position is on your claim.

    Janet E. Hill
    Hill & Associates, PC
    1160 S. Milledge Ave., Suite 140
    Athens, GA 30605

    See question