Skip to main content
Thomas James Thomas

Thomas Thomas’s Answers

2 total

  • By signing a contract with the Police to work off my charges, and completing it, does that protect me from future prosecution?

    I was intimidated into signing a contract with the Police to give them information they wanted, in exchange to "work off my charges" I was promised never to be prosecuted if I completed everything the contract said. I did complete it. BUT NOW THE ...

    Thomas’s Answer

    Any negotiated "deal" must be made with all bases being covered. It looks like you did not have legal counsel's advice about this, and that is likely where the problem lies. These types of deals are like contracts, but unless it has been accepted and approved at all levels, including the judge signing off, it may not accomplish what you had hoped.

    See question 
  • I got a felony Arraignment notice tonight for hearing tomorrow morning! I live in NY now and can't possibly get there in time!:(

    The notice was forwarded with an incomplete address from MA to NY and therefore delayed-received today for hearing at 8:30am tomorrow in a different state. Its for a felony breaking and entering based on a false/misleading police report by my ex b...

    Thomas’s Answer

    You should call the Clerk of Court and the Prosecutor's office for YOUR court to get an email address to send a message about the problem with receiving the mail late. Advise them that you have insufficient time to get to court, in the written e-mail. They may tell you to handle this by fax, and not email.
    Also, locate an attorney in NYC that can announce for you and seek a short term reset of the arraignment date.

    See question