Skip to main content
Irene Arfaras Steffas

Irene Steffas’s Answers

418 total

  • How do i go about adopting my best friends baby and how much will it cost me?

    My best friend is having a baby in may and she can't take care of him so she is letting me adopt him but I need to know the process for adopting the baby and how much the lawyer will cost me

    Irene’s Answer

    For your first question, hire an attorney who has adoption experience.

    For your 2nd question, how much will it cost? That is like asking how will it cost to go out to dinner? by the time you are send and done it might cost $3,000 to $10,000 for everything. When you meet with the attorney, he or she will map it out for you. You should know that the US federal government has an Adoption Tax Credit - if you earn less than 190K, then you are entitled to a tax credit of $13,000+.

    A good attorney will answer all of those questions and much more. Do it right!

    See question 
  • Can I use filing fee waiver for Adoption?

    I am trying to adopt my step daughter but I have heard mixed things from two different people for the Pierce County Court. Can I request the filing fee waiver for our adoption petition?

    Irene’s Answer

    Think about it for a moment - if you are adopting a child, the court will want to know that you have the ability to provide for the child.

    This may be an issue of local practice. However, asking for a filing fee waiver and at the same time telling the court that you will provide for the child appear to be contradictory statements.

    Adoptions are important - do it right - hire a good attorney in our state

    See question 
  • Do I need a lawyer to file for adoption

    I have POA for 5 years now child is 6years old female

    Irene’s Answer

    Absolutely - you need an adoption attorney - the power of attorney is no protection to your or the child. The parent come back and demand his or her child - you have nothing.

    See question 
  • Can I file for my Ex Husbands citizenship. We were married from 2001 to 2005. We have two children together12&13 .

    He is facing deportation and is completing a criminal sentence now. He has an Alien Card and severed in the US Army(Honorable discharged (1999). He has is now a college grad and business owner. Can you help with an answer.

    Irene’s Answer

    Certain rules apply for active and discharged military. You should see an immigration attorney as soon as possible to see if that can be used for his case.

    You cannot apply, only he can apply for naturalization. When migrants are legal permanent residence and commit a crime, they are subject to removal fr

    See question 
  • I would like to know if i can legally adopt my ex-husbands daughter?

    I am the only mother she has ever known. her biological mothers rights were terminated around 11-12 years ago when the child was under a year old. I have raised her as my own and she has a younger brother in which myself and her father conceived. ...

    Irene’s Answer

    You definitely need the assistance of an experienced adoption attorney. This is generally not done. However I have seen this done in a few states. Usually, you do a stepparent adoption. However, in rare cases
    A court may allow you to do the equivalent of a stepparent adoption even if you are divorced. You need someone with experience and who knows the courts in Cuyahoga county

    Your ex should be represented by independent legal counsel

    Good Luck

    See question 
  • Criminal charges vs ordinance violation

    i am filling out an application that requires me to answer do i have any pending criminal charges against me. I have received a ticket for violating municipal code, i am going to municipal court for my ordinance violation. I dont want to disclose ...

    Irene’s Answer

    you really need to have a consultation with an immigration attorney. Running through a red light, may not be a problem. However, vehicular homicide caused by running through a red light is a big issue. Instead of guessing and taking an unnecessary risk, seek the advice of an immigration attorney. Why not ask a criminal attorney? Unless that attorney knows the ins and outs of immigration law, there is a good chance you will not get a thorough answer.

    See question 
  • How long to get husband here after I-130 submitted, he wants to file for k-3, adjustment of status there.

    In addition he want to file there for work permit.Is this possible? How long must I really wait for all this?

    Irene’s Answer

    When backlogs for approving I-130 were 2-3 years, the K-1 was a way to unite a family faster. The current backlog is minimum and only a consult with an attorney is needed to determine if a K-1 visa is appropriate.

    See question 
  • Is there a way for me to request that the Father of my child sign over his rights so that my Husband can adopt him?

    I have sole custody of my son. His "Father" only contacts me to either say he misses him or to be a nuisance and push my buttons, he has not seen or spoken to his son in 4 years now or given me any support since I left him. Is there a way that I ...

    Irene’s Answer

    It depends on your relationship with the child's father. If you have a good relationship, then fine. If it is volatile and or hostile, let the attorney handling the stepparent adoption contact him.

    Definitely rely on the advice and documents provided by the adoption attorney. I have had clients download files off the internet and not provide all the forms needed for the father to sign. Some states such as Georgia require that someone speak to the birth father and make sure he understands what he is signing.

    Best wishes

    See question 
  • Do I need to have parental rights terminated prior to step-parent adoption?

    My husband would like to adopt my 16 year old daughter. We have been married 7 years, together 14. Biological father pays child support but has not ever contacted her. He last saw her in '99 briefly. I need to know if Step-parent adoption will t...

    Irene’s Answer

    Usually, there is one proceeding with two parts. A stepparent petition for adoption is filed with the court. If the birth father agrees or consents to the adoption, then the case moves quickly and with ease. If the father cannot be found or refuses to voluntarily consent to the adoption, then additional steps must be taken to terminate their rights.

    Having a the father voluntarily agree is best for everyone.

    See question 
  • Does it matter who starts the adoption proceedings?

    Am I (the biological father) ,able to start an adoption process of my biological daughter to her mother and step-father.. or do they need to start proceedings?”

    Irene’s Answer

    If a stepparent wants to adopt a child, then the stepparent must initiate the court proceedings. Your consent is required, but you do not begin the adoption process before the court.

    In a stepparent petition for adoption, the first logical step is to obtain the consent of the bio father.

    I hope this helps,

    See question