Skip to main content
Lisa M. Steets Hostetler

Lisa Steets Hostetler’s Answers

3 total

  • How do I get a lawyer when legal aid caint help? He moved out and filed 7mths ago. We have 4children & not getting any help.

    he moved in with his mom who paid for his lawyer. I had a one day notice to find a lawyer being served the day b4 a holiday. This was a shock to me that he did this and saying I am a bad mom who had commmited adultry. I went to court alone,there w...

    Lisa’s Answer

    You should try calling LATIS. Information is below. You will need to meet their income guidelines. There is a big push for volunteer lawyers now, so if they couldn't help before because they didn't have the resources, maybe they have more help now. Good luck.

    South Carolina Legal Services (SCLS) provides free civil legal services for low income residents of South Carolina. We do not do any criminal cases. If you want to apply for legal services, you should call the statewide South Carolina Legal Services Intake Office at 1-888-346-5592 (toll free) or 803-744-9430 (Columbia area). Spanish speaking applicants and hearing-impaired applicants, who have TTY capability, who wish to apply for legal services should also call the statewide telephone number at 1-888-346-5592. You can call the intake line from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Please note we do not give legal advice over the phone.

    See question 
  • My son is currently lock up he is to appear in municipal court and i've been subpeona to go to court.

    I was show a video and was ask was that my son my reply was it could be but the video was fuzzy I am not willing to testify against my son.

    Lisa’s Answer

    If you received a subpeona, you are required to appear as directed or you will be held in contempt and could go to jail yourself. If you are unsure whether it is your son in the video, answer truthfully. Your son's lawyer will object on your son's behalf if the prosecutor asks you questions that he shouldn't.

    See question 
  • See below not enough room

    I left my apatment lease 1 month early because i could no longer pay. Before i did complex sent me 2 letters giving me a 60 day notice...not because i wasnt paying...they gave me no reason. They left one on my door the other was sent via ...

    Lisa’s Answer

    With the caveat that I can't give you a specific answer without knowing the terms of your lease and the contents of the letter they sent you, it sounds like the amount you might owe them would be minimal. One month's rent minus a security deposit would probably leave you owing a couple hundred dollars or less. That having been said, it probably wouldn't be worth it financially for them to sue you. Since they turned it over to the collection company, it is likely they will just keep trying to collect the unpaid monies that way. It might be worth a shot to try and negotiate a final payment with the collection company. They may be willing to settle with you for less than the full amount that you owe. I would be surprised if you were actually sued over this (presumeably) little amount of money. If you want advice specific to your situation, I would suggest calling a lawyer with experience in this area.

    See question