Skip to main content
Laurel E Solomon

Laurel Solomon’s Answers

2 total

  • I've been married for 7 months in NC. Can I get a fault divorce without having to wait anymore time?

    my husband has been mentally and physically abusive. I have assault charges on him right now. He also has a bad addiction to prescription drugs that he hid from me before and during our marriage. He has abandoned me and moved without any word from...

    Laurel’s Answer

    An absolute divorce in North Carolina requires that the parties have lived separate and apart with the intent to remain permanently separate apart for at least one year prior to the filing of the claim for absolute divorce. Absolute divorce in North Carolina is not fault based.

    You should consult with an attorney who practices in the area of family law in your jurisdiction to discuss your options, which may include other claims or protections based on your specific facts besides an absolute divorce.

    See question 
  • How likely is it that my ex will get visitation???

    My ex has not seen his daughter in over 2 years. He decided he wants to take me to court for visitation. He has an extensive record (domestic violence, rape when he was a minor, drugs, his other daughter accused him of showing her dirty movies, ec...

    Laurel’s Answer

    You should discuss your situation with an attorney in your state knowledgeable in the law of child custody and visitation. The laws vary from state to state, but most states look at what is in the best interests of the child. This will involve a number of factors, including how well the child is doing in the custodial parent's custody, whether the custodial parent has impeded the other parent in having access to the child, and whether the non-custodial parent can provide a safe environment to the child for visitation. A lot would depend also on how long ago his transgressions which you list occurred, and what steps he has taken to become a better parent. Your daughter's age would also be factor. Judges like to ensure that children have relationships with both parents, and also of course that the child is safe and the relationship is healthy. Sometimes visitation in a situation such as you describe would start as supervised visitation for short periods of time. Each case is different, which is why it is important for you to consult with an attorney in your own jurisdiction regarding your own specific facts.

    See question