Skip to main content
No photo

Roger Munn’s Answers

2 total

  • Order of protection question

    I have an order of protection and can use upstairs of our house, while my husband can use the basement. Recently he blocked my access to the basement and turned off warm water. He should not harras me. Should I call police?

    Roger’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    No, calling the Police will not help. You can either go see the Commissioner at the District Court and apply for a violation of protective order, or formally file in the District Court alleging a violation of protective order. Blocking your access to the basement in-and-of-itself would not technically be a violation but cutting off the hot water should be sufficient harassment for the Court to violate him.

    See question 
  • I am planning to get out of my abusive marriage of 8 yrs.

    My husband is physically verbally and financially extremely abusive towards me. We have 2 kids and marital property property involved. I want to have custody of my kids . I want to know what kind of lawyer I should be looking for, family, someone ...

    Roger’s Answer

    1. Contact the House of Ruth In Maryland.
    House Of Ruth Maryland
    2201 Argonne Drive
    Baltimore, MD 21218
    410-889-0840 - Administrative Office
    410-889-9347 - Fax
    24-Hour Hotline: 410-889-RUTH (7884)
    Legal Hotline: 1-888-880-7884

    Below is from The House of Ruth Website at
    2. Create A Safety Plan

    Are you planning on leaving your partner?
    •What is your plan? How and when can you most safely leave? Do you have transportation, money and a place to go? What are you waiting for?
    •Inform people you trust about your plan and allow them to help you. Consider alternative plans if you have to leave prior to their scheduled leave date.
    •Make sure you have a safe place to go; somewhere where someone is supportive and the abuser does not know about (shelter, relative, hidden apartment, etc.).
    •Who will you tell and not tell about leaving? Who in your support network do you trust?
    •Pack a bag and keep it in an undisclosed but accessible place (either at home, at a friend or neighbor's house, or at work) in order to leave quickly.
    •How will you travel safely to and from work, or to school to pick up the children?
    •Seek legal advice so that you know what they can and cannot do, and what you can and cannot have. (i.e. Can you take the car? Can you take the children to another state?)
    •It is important to see your life first and their possessions second.
    •If possible, open a bank account or hide money to establish or increase independence (i.e. tell the abuser you paid $40 for a coat you bought for $10).
    •Leave money, an extra set of keys, copies of important documents, and extra clothes with someone you trust so you can leave quickly. Some items you want to consider having available: birth certificates, social security cards, marriage and driver's license, car title, bank account number, credit and/or ATM cards, savings account information, lease agreements, house deed, mortgage papers, insurance information and forms, school and health records, welfare or immigration documents, medications and prescriptions, divorce papers or other court documents, phone numbers/addresses for family/friends/community agencies, clothing and comfort items for them and their children, extra keys.

    Are you planning on staying with your partner?
    •Identify things that have worked in the past to keep you safe.
    •Think about what has happened in the past and how the abuser has acted. Identify clues that indicate when things are about to get violent (i.e. behavioral -- body language, drug/alcohol use, etc. -- and event driven -- paydays, holidays, etc.).
    •Identify what you will do if the violence starts again. Can you call the police? Is there a phone in the house? Can you work out a signal with the children or neighbors to call the police or get help?
    •Explore ways to have dangerous weapons (i.e. guns, hunting knives, etc.) removed from the house.
    •Identify dangerous locations in the house (i.e. the kitchen - knives, hot water, oven, etc.) and try not to be trapped in them. Install a lock on the inside of the bathroom or other room where you can be safe.
    •Make a routine for going out each day (i.e. walking the dog, taking out the trash, etc.). Let others know your routine so they will know when something is off.
    •Plan an escape route and practice it. Know beforehand where you can go and who you can call for help. Keep a list of addresses and phone numbers where you can go in crisis and keep them in a place where the abuser cannot find it.

    3. Learn about the dynamics and cycle of abuse so you can protect yourself and your children.

    4. Contact an attorney who can guide you through the process.

    See question