Skip to main content
George R. Barron

George Barron’s Answers

5 total

  • How can we sue walmart.

    My My wife has been working for 10 years at wal mart. He store recently has change store managers. His mission is to fire anyone that been working for over 5 years. She alos has been battleing cancer for the past 3 years. She always goes to work a...

    George’s Answer

    Your wife may be protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, and may also have rights under the Family Medical Leave Act. I would need more information to make a determination.

    Your wife should speak to an employment discrimination attorney as soon as possible to learn how to protect herself and document the employer's actions in the event that there is a legal claim to be made.

    Your son should contact a worker's compensation attorney to learn his rights.

    See question 
  • Can your employer make you take a vacation day when they close because of bad weather?

    My employer closed work because of bad weather.Now they want e to use a vacation in order to get paid.Is that legal??

    George’s Answer

    First, this is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. All I know of the situation is what has been posted.

    Unless you have a union or a private contract with your employer that says otherwise, your employer only has to pay you for time that you actually work. If you didn't work on the day in question, your employer doesn't have to pay you. It sounds like what your employer is doing is legal (although I agree it's not very nice).

    See question 
  • My girlfreind has a freind that was just fired for being her freind and another freind can she sue them

    she is freinds with two people that were in a place called bridge houseing but these two are no longer in the program well this woman

    George’s Answer

    First, this is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. All I know of the situation is what was posted.

    As a rule, employment in Pennsylvania is "at will" - meaning that an employer can fire someone for no reason at all or for almost any reason, good or bad.

    In most cases it is unlawful for an employer to fire someone because of their race, nationality, gender, disability, age if over 40. It may also be unlawful for an employer to fire someone for associating with a person of a certain race, gender, disability etc.

    Your girlfriend should talk to a lawyer. If she has a case, she may have as little as 180 days to act to protect her rights.

    See question 
  • What legal recourse is there for harassment in the work place not of a sexual nature, if the company does not resolve it?

    My wife works in a manufacturing company consisting of approximately 90% of the workforce being Asian, herself included. The department supervisors are caucason/white females and have engaged in the constant harassment of my wife singling her out ...

    George’s Answer

    First, this is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. I am not licensed to practice law in Idaho.

    If the harassment is due to your wife's race, the employer may be breaking the law. Your wife should contact a local employment lawyer and/or her local Equal Employment Opportunity Commission office for help.

    See question 
  • Recourse for Employee malice against employer

    Is there any recourse for an employer against an employee committing acts of malice against the employer. These acts include: filing false reports against other employees, uploading computer virus on a company computer, trying to undermine employ...

    George’s Answer

    First, please understand that I am not offering legal advice, and that all I know of this situation is what has been posted. The poster should talk to a lawyer.

    As a rule in Pennsylvania, an employer may fire an employee "at will" - with or without cause. If you believe that an employee is undermining your business, you should consider disciplining or firing that employee.

    If you can prove that your competitor is using unfair methods to compete with you or harm your business, you may be able to bring a legal action to stop it.

    See question