Skip to main content
Randolph H Wolf

Randolph Wolf’s Answers

14 total

  • Penalties for juvenile that shoplifted? Also, do I need an attorney/public defender?

    I got caught shoplifting an item of $29. It's my first offense, and I'm a juvenile. I'm going to juvenile court. And also,would it be more beneficial to plead guilty or non guilty?

    Randolph’s Answer

    All juvenile cases are heard in the Superior Court. All juvenile cases are heard in the family court. Municipal Courts have no authority over juveniles for anything other than motor vehicle offenses. All juveniles must be represented by an attorney. If our family's income is below a certain amount, then you may be eligible for a public defender. Otherwise, you must hire a private attorney. Since the amount shoplifted is below $500, the offense would be classified as a disorderly persons offense if it had been committed by an adult. The sentence and penalties for a juvenile shoplifting still include the following:

    * Detention (placement or camp)
    * Probation
    * Juvenile record
    * Fines
    * Community

    Please call me if you have any questions.

    See question 
  • Can my records be expunged?

    I have been arrested for Marijuana possesion twice in my life. Both in New Jersey. Once when I was 18 and another time when I was 23. I am 33 years old now. The first time I received and completed the conditional discharge program. The second time...

    Randolph’s Answer

    A conditional discharge is eligible for expungement 6 months after successful completion of the sentence. Thus, your first arrest is eligible for expungement. Your second conviction, as a disorderly persons offense, would be eligible for expungement 5 years after completion of your six month license suspension. The state may try to argue that, because you entered into the conditional discharge program, any subsequent offenses are ineligible for expungement. An attorney could argue, however, that only those individuals who entered into pretrial intervention diversionary programs - and NOT those that entered into conditional discharge programs - is barred from obtaining the expungement of subsequent offenses. Please call if you have any questions.

    See question 
  • What are the chances that my arrest and criminal record will be dropped?

    I was arrested last night for possession of CDS: 50 grams or less (I had between 10 and 15 grams of marijuana). This is my first ever arrest/offense.

    Randolph’s Answer

    I agree with the other attorney. Rather than merely plead guilty to a simple possession charge, which many individuals unfortunately do because they do not speak with an attorney, a defendant charged with simple possession is often eligible for a conditional discharge. This is a diversion which allows a defendant, who has never been in trouble before, to avoid this criminal charge on their permanent record. Essentially, the individual is given a one year probationary period where, if the individual stays out of trouble and is not arrested during the one year probationary period, the drug possession charge goes away forever.

    See question 
  • Failed field sobriety test , was arrested n pass breathalyzer test .o4 ... do i need a lawyer?

    first off i was driving my friends car (which he was intoxicated at the time) n his License was suspended ... so the cops ran the tags when they was behind me n pulled us over , they suspected drinking going on by the smell of liquor in the car (w...

    Randolph’s Answer

    The first thing that occurs to me is that the stop itself may well be invalid. Unless you meet the physical description of your friend, the police cannot pull over a car just because the registered owner of it is suspended. You should probably retain a lawyer. Even though you passed the Alcotest, you could still be convicted based upon the Officer's observations and the sobriety tests. You also have to defend the Reckless Driving ticket which is 5 points and a possible suspension. If you would like to discuss the situation in detail, send me an email to and we can talk about it.
    Best Regards,
    Randolph Wolf

    See question