Skip to main content
Adrian M Baron

Adrian Baron’s Answers

9 total

  • What does a re-arrest mean?

    Ex-boyfriend failed to appear in court and now has a re-arrest ordered, what does this mean, and what happens next?

    Adrian’s Answer

    I agree with the previous attorneys. Because he did not show up for court, he was charged with a Failure to Appear. He may want to consider contacting the court to see if it is not too late to vacate the warrant for his arrest. If too much time has passed, it may be too late. Either way, he should try to resolve this immediately.

    See question 
  • My dad is in jail

    He has 4 class c larceny 6th degree charges 1 ill open motor vechicle charges an evade resp/property/damage and then a violation of probation 1st violation and last use of drug para what's an estimate sentence please tell me or how much he'll serve

    Adrian’s Answer

    I agree with the previous attorneys. For many crimes, there are diversionary programs available that can may allow you to avoid jail time. If he was on probation and already had convictions, chances are he would not be eligible for them. The outcome of his case can depend on many factors including criminal record, victim input and whether or not restitution was made for the property damage, stolen property, etc. You can look up your dad's case on the judicial website and it will tell you specifically what charges he is facing and what class of charge (Class A Misdeameanor, Felony,etc) Each charge would have a minimum or maximum possible sentence. It might be a good idea to meet with an attorney to discuss his options.

    See question 
  • Can i wear a t shirt to court saying "free defendant"

    can family members and witnesses for the defendant wear t-shirts with supporting quotes on them to court like "free john doe"

    Adrian’s Answer

    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to wear such a t-shirt. Of course, some judges have certain rules when it comes to decorum in the court room. You should check with the court house to be sure. Your best course of action would probably be just to dress respectfully for the hearing.

    I never understood why some defendants show up to court wearing t-shirts depicting marijuana or similar images. If you are arrested for a gun related crime, you should probably reconsider the Scarface t-shirt. Judges and prosecutors are human. You have one chance to make a first impression.

    See question 
  • I bought a software program where I can create my own will. What is my next step?

    I'm young, single, and own my own home. I thought creating a will would be easy so I purchased the software. After I create my own will, do I need to have it notarized and filed with the town? I'm not sure of my next step. What am I missing? ...

    Adrian’s Answer

    A living will and a will are two separate documents. Your will, as you know, is a document that indicates how you want your property disposed of at your death. The living will is a document that you may have heard referred to as an Advanced Health Care Directive or a DNR. It let's your doctor and your family know what kind of care you would like to have if you become unable to make medical decisions. It can indicate, for example, that you do not want to be resuscitated if it is determined that you are in a coma and your condition is termial.

    For Connecticut, you need two witnesses on your will. You don't necessarily need it notarized, but it is a good idea. It will help prove the validity of the will later.

    You don't need to file your will with your town. Just keep it in a safe place. Let the person you indicated as the Administrator or Executor where it is.

    There are plenty of software programs that can prepare a will, but it is always a good idea to consult an attorney (especially if you have a complicated estate). The wording of the will is very important.

    See question 
  • Never heard back from small claims

    I am hoping someone might be able to give me an answer. We live in CT, my husband filed a claim against our previous tenants for unpaid rents. The tenants counter claimed, we sent in our response to the counterclaim. We had to respond on or before...

    Adrian’s Answer

    Your best bet would be to contact the clerk's office. Small Claims matters can get a little backlogged. The denied designation probably means that the tenants are denying your claim. Check the CT Judicial Website or visit the court service center. Many local CT courthouses have them.

    See question 
  • What is the procedure in state of CT for filing for legal separation?

    Are the papers to file for a legal separation different than the papers to file for divorce? If they're the same, how do you identify whether it is for a separation or divorce?

    Adrian’s Answer

    Basically, a legal separation is when a married couple makes a binding agreement about how to manage their affairs and assets while living apart, but do not get a formal divorce. The grounds and procedure for a legal separation are the same as those for divorce. The important thing to remember is that with a legal separation you are still legally married. You and your spouse must still agree on custody, property settlement, support and/or alimony, just as in a divorce. Legally separated couples may not remarry without first obtaining a divorce.

    Another thing to consider is that the government considers you to be married. If you divorce after ten years of marriage, you may receive social security benefits based on your ex-spouse’s earnings. In a legal separation the tax, estate, and insurance consequences may differ from those of a divorce.

    If, at any time after the legal separation, one spouse decides to get a divorce, a simple motion to the court along with an affidavit stating that the parties have not resumed marital relations, will convert a separation into a divorce without the participation of the other spouse. After the legal separation process has been completed, the court should not require the usual 90-day waiting period to grant a divorce.

    Don't forget, if you are simply living apart, you are not legally separated regardless of the length of time. You do not have the benefits of any court orders and enforcing informal agreements may be difficult.

    With that said, most courts have information centers with free how-to booklets on divorce.

    See question 
  • Is hitting a fellow employee a crime in WA state

    Is hitting a fellow demployee a crime

    Adrian’s Answer

    It depends. Are you a boxer?

    It is usually safe to say that hitting a fellow employee is a crime in any state. For example, if you poke the guy with your finger to make a point, it can be considered battery.

    As with many things in law, the best answer is "it depends". For example, did you have consent to whack the guy. Were you defending yourself? Were you defending someone else? Remember, words alone, no matter how insulting or provocative, do not justify an assault or battery against the person who utters the words.

    See question 


    Adrian’s Answer

    I would suggest contacting the secretary of state where the company was located. The company may have been a railway car builder. If you don't know the state, might I suggest New York.

    If it helps, it is my understanding that the patent for the Anti Friction Journal Box (Patent 2360737) is held by General Motors Corp. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is the company you are looking for.

    See question 
  • Under WA state law, how is property divided in a divorce

    well my husband is saying that when we get a divorce i will be left with nothing. but we had bought a car together and he still says that he will get it not me. Plus he has another car. so what do i do.

    Adrian’s Answer

    It is my understanding that Washington State allows for the equitable distribution of property. I would suggest contacting a licensed Washington State attorney for proper legal advice. You might find that you are entitled to a portion of the marital property, pension benefits, alimony, child support,etc.

    See question