Skip to main content
Adam Bartsch

Adam Bartsch’s Answers

2 total

  • Executors' fees in New York vs. Vermont

    My uncle just died in New York, and I am the principal heir to his $4,000,000 estate. I am also one of two executors, the other being a lawyer. Executor compensation was not specified in the will. My uncle wrote his will in Vermont, and was abo...

    Adam’s Answer

    What the lawyer/executor receives could be very different in New York and Vermont, in large part because New York has a statutory fee schedule, while Vermont does not. Chances are good a Vermont probate court would approve a smaller executor's fee than allowed by New York's fee schedule. You should work with a Vermont estate planning attorney to determine your uncle's domicile (presumably New York, but more information is needed), and thus where to open the probate proceeding.

    See question 
  • At what age can a child cose which parent they wanna live with?

    my grandmother is the boys legal gurdian

    Adam’s Answer

    Minors residing in Vermont who are age 14 or above may choose their guardian, subject to the approval of the probate court, and may appear before the court or before a district judge and make their choice known.

    See question