Skip to main content
James V. Solis

James Solis’s Answers

3 total

  • How do I get Letters of Testamentary since my husband died?

    He left everything to me in his will but I don't know if it is necessary to file his will or where to file.

    James’s Answer

    I too am very sorry for the loss of your husband. I agree with the responses given by some of the other Attorneys' posts on this specific question. One point I'd add is that in at least one state, the State of Connecticut, Letters Testamentary can be obtained by the surviving spouse, without the need of an attorney. Connecticut's probate statute only allows you to do so however as a layman surviving spouse, not as a non-Connecticut-licensed attorney surviving spouse. A further point I'd add is that in addition to speaking with an attorney licensed in Nevada (which I strongly recommend), you can also contact your applicable Probate Court to get some idea of the procedure involved.

    See question 
  • I live in the state of indiana and was divorced in sacramento do i obtain a copy of my final divorce decree?

    i am unable to travel to california

    James’s Answer

    Call by telephone or contact via internet the Court in Sacremento, California where you obtained your Final Divorce. The Court will probably allow you to obtain a copy, for a fee, through the mail.
    I further suggest you ask for a Certified Copy of that Decree, because some or many States require a Certified Copy of a Divorce Decree if you intend to re-marry.

    See question 
  • My wife inherited $1 million - we are going through a divorce. Am I entitled to any of that mone. We were married 32 years.

    She has put the money in the hands af a financial advisor who has started to invest it. She did not put any of it in savings account.

    James’s Answer

    As a general rule, assets inherited by one spouse during the course of the marriage are excluded as assets that can be counted as part of the marital estate. Depending on the specific facts of your case, there may be a very important exception to this rule which you should speak to a lawyer about.

    By “marital estate” we mean all of the assets accumulated during the course of the marriage.

    Feel free to contact this office should you require further information.

    See question