Powered by Avvo.com

I need a good lawyer? : I was in a motorcycle accident with the police, in a two-way street im going southbound she's going northbound then at an intersection she took a sudden left without a turning signal and her turn was premature she didn't even make it to the intersection I collided with her almost face to face at the pedestrian lines.
she had no lights on or sirens, she said she was not responding to an emergency. the good thing is I have everything on my camera. I have some serious injuries ( two hip fractures, knee fracture, fibula fracture, wrist fracture). as I was still getting care in the ICU the officer-involved came to me and handed me a bunch of tickets ( reckless driving, speeding, plate not secure and swinging!) now what kind of lawyer I should contact because so far I either have someone who will only deal with the tickets and told me I should make a deal and the other type is the one who wants to sue the city and they don't care about the tickets.

Asked 8 months ago in Personal Injury

James’s answer: Hire a qualified personal injury attorney. He/she will guide you with regard to the tickets. Be aware of Notice of Claim requirements against the City of New York ( and the NYPD) - must be filed within 90 days of the accident. As to merits of a negligence claim against the police, see NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1104(e) http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?... Must prove more than ordinary negligence.. must show that officer drove vehicle without "due regard for the safety of all persons" or with "reckless disregard for the safety of others". Discuss this with any lawyer you consult with.

Answered 8 months ago.

Can she sue?: My mother was walking home got hit by a car yesterday. The driver drove down the street, parked and walked over to see if she was okay. She said she was and then he drove off. The ambulance came to check her out- she didn't go to the hospital and a police report was filed. She didn't get the drivers name or license plate number. My question is, can she sue?

Asked 10 months ago in Personal Injury

James’s answer: If she can’t identify the owner she can always file an Uninsured Motorist claim with MVAIC which is a NY agency that will insure and cover liability claims up to $25,000 in situations where there is a hit and run. If she owns a car or if someone living in her household owns a car, she can similarly file a UM/ SUM claim with that insurer. The medical bills would also be covered. She needs to have a consultation with a PI lawyer.

Answered 10 months ago.

What can I do if my uncle died while at work?: My uncle (single, 34 years old) was working for his employer in Middletown, NY. He was working on a flat roof and fell through a skylight. As a result of the fall, my uncle died.
I have been trying to get in touch with his employer to ask for more details about the accident as the police report will not be ready until 1/24/2020, but his employer is not contacting me back.
My uncle has left a burden on the family as he financially helped his mother, father, and daughter on a monthly basis.
What can I do to help my family?

Asked 10 months ago in Workers Compensation

James’s answer: Your uncle’s next of kin may be able to bring a claim for wrongful death and his pain and suffering under NY’s Labor Law or for negligence. You need to have a sit down consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer as these types of claims are very fact specific. I would urge you to do so immediately as someone will need to be appointed executor or administrator of your uncle’s estate in order to proceed with the claim and you want to act quickly to gather evidence.

Answered 10 months ago.