Skip to main content
Sydne French

Sydne French’s Answers

4 total

  • Summons for criminal complaint:burgulary class F felony waukesha county

    Sydne’s Answer

    I understand you are looking for some initial feedback via AVVO initially. However, the help you are seeking is tough to offer without more information on your son's present situtation. I would recommend that you call a few criminal defense lawyers in Waukesha county as soon as possible and ask for an initial consultation.

    Most, if not all, lawyers who practice criminal defense provide this for free. A lawyer skilled in burglary charges will need to ask you questions about the charges and more detail about your son before he or she can provide you with guidance on your son's legal options and rights.

    Best of luck to you and your son!

    Sydne French
    The Law Offices of Sydne French
    200 South Executive Drive, Suite 101
    Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005
    262.748.7008 (phone)
    866.542.1793 (facsimile)

    The above should not be construed as legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended.

    See question 
  • Dui in aug, dui in oct, can they charge me for 2nd dui b4 the 1st one? is there double jeapordy law? can they combine them 2 one

    Sydne’s Answer

    In Wisconsin, a person can be charged and prosecuted for separate drunk driving charges (we call them OWI’s) at the same time. It does not matter which occurred first. What matters is which incident is resolved first. That is, the conviction date determines the order of the two incidents, not the date of offense.

    For instance, a person is arrested on January 1 for drunk driving and again on January 5. He or she will be charged and prosecuted for both at the same time, but in separate complaints. A person can then be convicted for the Jan. 5th incident first, which would then make the Jan. 1st incident (which actually occurred first in time) turn into an OWI-2nd or subsequent incident - for the purposes of sentencing.

    See question 
  • Civil ordnance

    Sydne’s Answer

    Attorney Zorbini Bongard is correct. District Attorneys are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court, not the municipal court. Therefore, writing a letter to the DA will have not help your case.

    I agree with Attorney Zorbini Bongard that an attorney may be able to help with negotiations; however, it could be cost prohibitive, especially if the modification you are seeking on the ticket is a reduced fine. If, on the other hand, if you are seeking an amendment of the type of charge/offense or a reduction in the demerit points on your license --- and you are not so concerned with the amount of the fine, hiring an attorney would likely be your best bet.

    Good luck!

    See question 
  • Can you be a paramedic with a felony

    Sydne’s Answer

    There is no short or definitive answer to your question. You have two issues to address: (1) will your application to become licensed be approved in the first place, and (2) can you find employment once you are licensed. The answer to both issues depends on whether the offense for which you were convicted is determined to be “substantially related” to work as an EMT.

    Under the Fair Employment Act (sections 111.31-111.395, Wis. Stats.), employers may not discriminate on the basis of conviction or arrest record, unless the circumstances of the conviction or arrest substantially relate to the circumstances of the particular job or licensed activity.

    Many ambulance services and hospitals require that a person applying for a position as an EMT have no felony arrests or convictions on their record. On the other hand, some municipalities and other city government employers say that a felony conviction will not automatically bar an applicant from being employed as an EMT.

    Determining whether a felony burglary conviction qualifies as a substantially related crime depends on a number of factors, including (but not limited to) whether the crime involved violence or threat of harm at any point, and the extent to which the crime relates to vulnerable clients/patients. In Wisconsin, the Department of Human Services, which licenses EMT’s, has set forth guidelines for this analysis under DHS 12.06, which they explain in the Wisconsin Caregiver Program Manual, Chapter 4.3.1. You can find this manual online at:

    See question