No photo
Posted over 3 years ago.

I was a Realtor for nearly 12 years. I owed money to IRS every year. I origianlly owed $39,000 and reduced that by paying, I got down to $15,000 but my circumstances changed. I recently a divorced, got out of Real Estate, and now selling MFH and RV's in Texas. I am barely able to make ends meet as it is. I no longer live the lifestyle I was accustom to, and struggle from Month to Month. I know I need to hire and attorney, but how do I do that with little to no income. I fear that now I am having taxes taken from my current paychecks - that IRS will lien my paychecks - leaving me homeless...If I can't pay my rent, I will get evicted. I am so scared, but can't afford to pay an attorney. I see all these IRS help companies - but my mother always told me, "if its too good to be true, then it probably is". Even these companies want $500 or more - and I don't even have that. What can I do!! Desperately seeking advice!!

Michael L Raff
Michael L Raff, Tax Lawyer - Northfield, IL
Posted over 3 years ago.

I would still STRONGLY recommend hiring an attorney, but you can check out some of the papers the IRS puts out on the Offer in Compromise program located here:

Best of luck!