No photo
Posted about 4 years ago.

My spouse left without notice in 2012, in 2012 my spouse filled taxes as Married filling Jointly for year 2011. recently got a letter from IRS that we need to pay unpaid taxes for 2011. My name is also there because we did joint return. This year I did Married filing separately. I am just want to know whether I will be liable to pay any unpaid taxes for previous years. what should i do?

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell, Tax Lawyer - Burlington, CT
Posted about 4 years ago.

Yes. You are liable for the taxes due from any jointly filed return. Innocent Spouse relief may be an option for you but it can be very difficult to get. It is likely that you will need professional assistance with filing an Innocent Spouse relief request. If you would like to contact me directly I may be able to tell you what your chances of success might be but I would need more information then can be given on this forum.