While you shouldn't wait before finding a lawyer, you should also do three things as soon as possible: 1) gather and copy all of your and your son's documents relating to his drug use and treatment, history of convictions, etc.; 2) make a public record request to the jail for their entire custody, medical, and inmate history files on your son; 3) gather all documents you can concerning his medical expenses, funeral expenses, income history, etc. You need not have all of these documents before you talk to a lawyer, but everything you can pull together will help.