No photo
Posted over 4 years ago.

Yes he has been in Mexico for two months. My father is disemployed so I don't think he can sponsor me although he is my only option. He gets food stamps . When I read the requirements for the income it said that he can't have government support. Is that correct?

Laura Justine Jacobson
Laura Justine Jacobson, Immigration Attorney - Alexandria, VA
Posted over 4 years ago.

Do you have any other friends or family who would be willing to be a joint sponsor? They do not have to be related to you or him, but they do need to be a U.S. citizen or green card holder. Receiving government support won't disqualify a person from being a sponsor, but they can't include that money in their income to get over the level. Finding a joint sponsor can be one of the more difficult parts of this process, but you won't be able to complete the process without one.